British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-10-16, 06:19 PM

Default 43 Div Greenjackets

A member of the Military Heraldry Society has asked if anyone can identify which unit wore this combination of badges and when. Can anyone help?

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43 Div Greenjackets MHerSoc.jpg (86.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 25-10-16, 06:27 PM
MarkGD

Jon,
Could be a difficult one, as the Green jackets regimental home was at Winchester which was within the Wessex Region. Could have been the whole time! Regards Mark
Old 26-10-16, 11:48 AM

Thanks for that. I wondered if it was post May 1961 when the TA's Divisions amalgamated with the Regular Army's Districts to become Division/Districts and your identification of the Greenjackets depot as being in Hampshire fits that situation nicely.

Much appreciated

Jon
Old 27-10-16, 01:02 PM

Is the picture not fuller Jon ?
When the Green jackets title was worn, they also wore a black metal shoulder title on the strap 43rd&52nd,KRRC and RB.
Old 27-10-16, 04:57 PM

The example shown unfortunately has the metal title missing. The picture attached shows the cloth title with one of the metal ones worn by the regiments of the Brigade.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19 Bde KRRC Greenjackets.jpg (114.8 KB, 60 views)
Old 27-10-16, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
The example shown unfortunately has the metal title missing. The picture attached shows the cloth title with one of the metal ones worn by the regiments of the Brigade.

Jon
Thanks Jon, makes identification harder. I have a Rifle Brigade image ,you cant see the right arm but the left arm has the title and the blackened RB on the strap.
Old 27-10-16, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Thanks Jon, makes identification harder. I have a Rifle Brigade image ,you cant see the right arm but the left arm has the title and the blackened RB on the strap.
Just had a mooch around, it would seem unlikely that it belong to 3rd Green Jackets (RB) as they appeared to have spent the whole period of 58-66 abroad.
Looking at the postings for the other two battalions id have to say that it was more likely to be 2nd GJ (KRRC) as they spent more time in the UK (5 yrs).
Unfortunately I cant pin down any locations as of yet.
Old 20-11-16, 07:09 PM

Jon and Mike,

If my recollections are correct the 3rd Bn. Green Jackets were stationed at Roman Way Camp, Colchester, Essex around the late 50s early 60s. At this time the 19th Infantry Bde were there under 54th. Div.

Regards
Arthur
Old 20-11-16, 09:09 PM

In the Spring of 1961 1 RGJ (43rd & 52nd) were the Demonstration Battalion at the School of Infantry, Warminster and wearing the School of Infantry sign. Mike
Old 21-11-16, 08:54 AM

Default R.G.J. Bn. Error

Jon and Mike,

Thinking about my statement that the 3rd Bn. Royal Green Jackets were stationed at Roman Way Camp, Colchester, Essex! I have to alter that statement to the 2nd Bn. The reason for this is. The Officer's Mess had the bell from the "Warren Hastings" in the entrance to their mess.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

Regards
Arthur
Old 21-11-16, 09:54 AM

In March 1963 3 RGJ were in Cyprus. The image shows a somewhat unofficial tactical sign on the trailer - a square divided diagonally black/rifle green (naturally). As an infantry battalion the square should have been red (anathema to Greenjackets!) Mike

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205098741
Old 21-11-16, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
In March 1963 3 RGJ were in Cyprus. The image shows a somewhat unofficial tactical sign on the trailer - a square divided diagonally black/rifle green (naturally). As an infantry battalion the square should have been red (anathema to Greenjackets!) Mike

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205098741
But they are wearing Para Smocks and SAS windproof smocks, maybe an SF recce party!

Marc
Old 21-11-16, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
But they are wearing Para Smocks and SAS windproof smocks, maybe an SF recce party!

Marc
More likely indicative of typical "Black Mafia" cavalier attitude to non-Greenjackets' boring adherence to dress regulations! Windproof smocks were worn by all sorts - including Permanent Staff and Junior Soldiers at JTR Troon 1967-1970. I should have appropriated some when I left. Mike