British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-09-22, 08:16 PM

Default Royal Signals Coloured FS cap

I recently acquired this Royal Signals FS cap at a market. Not my usual field of collecting but it looked nice and the price seemed right too I assume it to be from the last few decades as it has staybrite buttons and a QC Jimmy badge.
I would however be interested to know when this style cap was introduced and also what earlier ones looked like. I've seen a few pre 1946 other ranks ones but not any officers ones. Were there embroidered versions of the oval pre1946 badge for example? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220926_090139.jpg (39.0 KB, 60 views)
Old 25-09-22, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

These caps were worn at the start of WW2 and were popular at the end as walking out hats. They had a resurgence in the 1960s and 70s in barrack dress and were often worn with blue guernseys. They were dropped in the 1980s and replaced in the dress regulations with peaked caps or berets. They remained in the Dress Regs for Mess Kit but in reality fell out of use.

They were very unofficially worn by a few officers in barrack dress in the 1990s and 2000's but this was not widespread and not approved. I even saw one example being worn (briefly) in Afghanistan in 2013 in Bastion!
Old 26-09-22, 06:32 AM

Hi, In answer your question, I have never seen a embroidered version of the oval pre1946 badge in all the time I have been collecting. That's not to say that it may exist.
engr9266

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 26-09-22, 07:05 AM

Just remembered this web site Signalsbadges.co.uk. This belongs to Chris Walker and he shows a unofficial bullion badge so it may exist in one form or another.
engr9266

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 26-09-22, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Me neither. The second k/c design is the only one that I have seen.
Old 26-09-22, 11:50 AM

Default Coloured Caps FS Embroidered Badge

Dear Friends.

Please find attached a few Coloured Officers Caps FS badges that I show on my little web site. There is also a photo of an officers Embroider Beret badge which is not mine but from the Royal Signals Museum that I have permission to show on my site with a Kings Crown. The photo is from that of Lt Col. Stevenson and taken in 1944.

1. Old Roundel style Embroidered Cap Badge unofficial use. This badge is slightly larger than the embroidered collar badges that I show on my site and was made by Moss Bros of Covent Garden.

2. Post 1946 Royal Signals Embroidered Caps FS badge with Kings Crown again made by the bespoke tailor who made the cap FS. I do not know of the maker of this badge but one of several that I have. All slightly different is design as they were all made by different tailors.

3. Maroon backed Signals Beret Badge as worn by Lt Col Stephenson from a photo taken in 1944. The badge is from the Royal Signal Museum from whom I have permission to show this badge.

Hope this information is of use to you all.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
Old 03-10-22, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
embroidered version of the oval pre1946 badge
Here's another one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCoS.jpg (77.2 KB, 11 views)