British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-12-08, 04:23 PM
LYPAO Boff

Default The Royal Yeomanry

Hi All

Possibly the ugliest badge in existence!

The Royal Yeomanry
Oct 2006 to the present day

This badge has been seen before, I have seen the same badge on ebay but with a Kings crown (possibly) or maybe the same coronet but without the scroll. Can anyone tell me what regiment the original version of this badge belonged to?

best regards
Griff M-J

Last edited by GriffMJ; 22-12-08 at 04:45 PM.
Old 22-12-08, 06:06 PM

Not a direct answere to your question I am afraid, but it it helps the following if taken from the regiment's web site...

The new capbadge is based upon the personal cypher of our Royal Honourary Colonel HRH Princess Alexandra, with the intertwined "A"s surmounted by her coronet
Old 22-12-08, 06:47 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Not a direct answere to your question I am afraid, but it it helps the following if taken from the regiment's web site...

The new capbadge is based upon the personal cypher of our Royal Honourary Colonel HRH Princess Alexandra, with the intertwined "A"s surmounted by her coronet
Hi

Yes, fully aware of it origins I am an ex Royal Yeoman myself (B Sqn). Its the old badge that I am interested in ..... it was the same but without the scroll and was worn by a different regiment..... its the name of that other Regiment that I am interested in. Hopefully somebody has the book that shows the origional badge and the regiments name.

Best Regards
Griff M-J
Old 22-12-08, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

I think that there was a Indian Army Gurkha badge with the same CinC. Found it - 3rd Gurkha Rifles.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 22-12-08 at 08:42 PM.
Old 22-12-08, 09:25 PM

Whatever the significance of the design maybe, it remains a less than inspired design ( if this should be so kind an appraisal ).

CB
Old 23-12-08, 09:30 PM
LYPAO Boff

Talking

Hi

Searching through the mystery badge section on the forum I found the badge that I had seen on ebay..... Alan had the correct regiment and I totally agree with CB..... I prefer the older badge myself. The new badge does not even have the A's crossed...... it really is horrible.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 23-12-08 at 10:09 PM.
Old 24-12-08, 10:12 AM

Default Uninspired badge.

Definitely an uninspired badge, it wasn't until I saw the R Yeomanry site that it became clear the cypher was AA which lends itself to all kinds of abuse. Surely they could have used a more heraldic beast with a scroll Princess Alexanders own, or left the squadrons alone to wear matching badges and collars. Merry Christmas and all the best Sean.
Old 24-12-08, 10:42 AM
Badge Guru

Its a badge design to satisfy all parties.

When designing a badge for a new regiment that has amalgamated its very difficult to satisfy the brass hats on each side who who argue until blue in the face if they think a badge design has had more inspiration from another regiment. So what you get in this case is a badge with little or no inspiration.
Old 24-12-08, 10:52 AM
LYPAO Boff

Hi

The "real" reason for the introduction of this badge is because of Iraq. When the regiment sent two squadrons out there with men from the remaining squadrons also..... the Yanks got confused apparently (also our regulars to). They couldnt read our rank slides that said "Royal Yeomanry" and instead were confused by the different cap badges...... the Royal Yeomanry top brass got embarrased about this and instead of fighting their corner they decided to destroy the unique traditions of the Squadron Regiments....... as you can tell we are not really bitter & twisted about it

We still feel the better solution was putting the TRF flash onto our berets behind the badges..... that way we could be instantly recognised (like the Household & Guards).

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 24-12-08, 11:05 AM
Badge Guru

Can you explain the significance of the new design?

If there was a problem with identification why not wear the RAC cap badge in theatre and retain the original insignia?
Old 24-12-08, 11:24 AM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
Can you explain the significance of the new design?

If there was a problem with identification why not wear the RAC cap badge in theatre and retain the original insignia?
There is no regimental significance to this design....... its the usual bland "corporate" choice from the usual bland Officers that made the choice.

The broad "chunter" amongst the rank & file would have been happy with a more equestrian badge..... something that reflected our collective yeomanry cavalry heritage.

The badge is the heraldic badge of Princess Alexandra...... an unheard of Royal that became honorary Colonel on the demise of the Queen Mum. Its a very "sicofantic" choice of badge.

BTW the badge was introduced "after" service in theatre....... all attached men that go out now wear the cap badge of the regiment they are attached to. So the RY badge has no real significance now anyway........ another pointless exercise and another nail in the coffin of the County Yeomanry. All modern Yeomanry regiments are now based on "District" and not County.

By losing the County identity, the whole ethos of the Yeomanry in its true sense is lost....... the way its going it wont be long before we see the M&S Regiment or the Household "Virgin Media" Cavalry. The regimental badge is a link to the past and the men that have gone before, losing that link .... especially for a Yeomanry..... is a hard thing to do.

Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 24-12-08 at 12:43 PM.
Old 15-01-09, 03:19 AM

And the loss of HQ Sqn as Westminster Dragoons looses the old RTR connection, long held, with the black berets and coveralls
Old 15-01-09, 05:49 PM
LYPAO Boff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesosborne View Post
And the loss of HQ Sqn as Westminster Dragoons looses the old RTR connection, long held, with the black berets and coveralls

yes indeed...... my father was a WD and hence my connection with the yeomanry and tanks. My boy will go into the Yeomanry as soon as he is of age..... he will be fully furnished with "County" history....... not Corporate history.

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 23-02-10, 10:40 PM
LYPAO Boff

Talking The Royal Yeomanry

Hi All

For those of you who dont know, the RY is issuing an "updated" Cypher badge, pictured below is the old type. The new type is smaller and better made for the O/Rs.

A new "regimental" button is being struck also, this will be in white metal with the new Cypher. Issue date is meant to be 2010...... but, as always, might be a little later (2012 we think).

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 24-02-10, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Griff,

very interesting. I don't suppose you have a spare old type?

Alan