British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Unit Colour Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-11-18, 07:54 AM

Default a couple of new Korea period patches

hi all
haven't bought anything for ages and all of a sudden, over a week, i've bought heaps. funny how that happens.
my 2 new korea period patches. pretty happy with the condition of these, not to mention how uncommon they are.
i believe both Japanese made.
cheers
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7834.jpg (64.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7835.jpg (52.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-11-18, 11:10 AM

Both are great examples. The 27th is particularly nice. I would agree in Japanese hand work.
Jack
Old 01-11-18, 11:54 AM

Default 27 Bde

I believe I'm right in thinking the FS with yellow nines was worn by Brigade HQ staff, and that with the red nines was worn by the infantry battalions.

The FS was worn below the 40 Division FS.

I am unsure if they were adopted when the Brigade was in Korea or if they had been introduced when the Brigade was based in Hong Kong earlier.

Stephen.
Old 07-11-18, 08:44 AM
Glosters Cloth

As an ex Gloster with a keen interest in the Korean War I really enjoyed seeing those. Thank you for sharing the images. ��
Old 07-11-18, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
I believe I'm right in thinking the FS with yellow nines was worn by Brigade HQ staff, and that with the red nines was worn by the infantry battalions.

The FS was worn below the 40 Division FS.

I am unsure if they were adopted when the Brigade was in Korea or if they had been introduced when the Brigade was based in Hong Kong earlier.

Stephen.
I think that the matter of the significance of the colour of the three 9s remains "not proven". For what it is worth 40 Inf Div vehicles carried the Divisional sign.
27 Inf Bde 1 AandSH.jpg
Old 07-11-18, 09:20 AM

27 Inf Bde: Formed in UK Jul 48. Arrived HK from UK Jul 49 with 1 R Leicester, 1 Middlesex, 1 A & SH. To Korea Aug 50 with 1 Middlesex and 1 A & SH. 3 RAR added 28 Sep 50 and title changed to 27 Br Comwel Inf Bde 1 Oct 50. Returned to HK from Korea 1951 and withdrawn from HK 1957.
Old 07-11-18, 10:10 AM

thanks guys
its a very interesting period.
here's a link to one of my albums that may be of interest
bc

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=3571
Old 07-11-18, 11:37 AM

From Formation Sign No 207.

Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27 Inf Bde (1).jpg (83.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 27 Inf Bde (2).jpg (91.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-11-18, 05:46 PM

That's good stuff, but 40 Inf Div was disbanded in Hong Kong in April 1952 - so the timelines need a little adjustment.
To further muddy the waters; (From Malcolm Bellis) "In April 1951 HQ 27 Inf Bde (in Hong Kong) became HQ 28 Commonwealth Inf Bde (in Korea). Then a "new 27 Inf Bde was formed in Hong Kong". The latter was still in Hong Kong In April 1953 (1 Dorsets, 1 RUR and 1 Welch). After that the trail is cold. I then ask myself, "If three battalions of 27 Inf Bde wore the version of the sign with red numerals - say 1,800 men each with several OG shirts each with two sleeves, why are this version of the sign so scarce. In collections they seem to be outnumbered by the version with yellow numerals. Perhaps most of them were printed signs which died a lingering death in the dhobi?
Old 09-11-18, 11:59 AM

My printed 27 Bde sign has red numerals, whereas (from what I've actually seen) the ones with yellow numbers all seem to be embroidered. Could the difference in colour be as mundane as the method of manufacture?