British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-04-12, 04:03 PM

Default Silver "TA" Territorial Army Lapel badge

Please can anyone tell me what period these badges date from and also is it possible to reseach the Regiment or owner from the serial number on the back?

Thanks, Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ta.jpg (37.1 KB, 107 views)
Old 29-04-12, 04:22 PM

It's only a start point for the answers, but I was issued with one, along with the rest of my kit, when I joined the TA in London in January 1952
johnG
Old 29-04-12, 06:21 PM

Of no direct help, but in hope of illumination. My partner is not a 'collector' per se, thinking it a 'man thing'. But as I'm an ex-TA officer, and she's an ex-RAFVR officer (only grudgingly accepting the shotgun marriage of the VR and the AUX AF) she does like picking up the RAFVR lapel badges of the same pattern. We have also picked up a badge with its receipt.

So, we get to thinking. With the British military mind, if you sign for something and get a receipt, there must be a system somewhere where these receipts are collated - and a name is connected to a number (think of the Silver War Badges). But much seeking has not yet turned one up.

Correlate across to the TA lapel badges...
Old 30-04-12, 09:09 AM

According to the newly-republished Doing Their Bit : Home Front Lapel badges 1939-1945 by Jon Mills (Sabrestorm Publishing) the badge was approved by the King in March 1938 and an initial order placed with the Royal Mint that month. It was designed by a Mr Coombes who worked at the mint and the silver colour was chosen as a link to the silver badges and trimmings worn by the Volunteers.

The badges were numbered and numbers 1 and 2 were presented to the King and Queen as Honorary Colonels of TA regiments. It was issued to all TA officers and ORs on enlistment and came with a certificate but issues ceased in 1939 when the TA was absorbed into the army. All pre-war examples have a lapel fixing. It was revived for the postwar TA in 1947 when a pinback version was introduced for the ATS (later WRAC) TA.

Similar badges exist for the ATS, Royal Army Reserve, Regular Army Reserve of Officers and the RAFVR.

Postwarden
Old 30-04-12, 09:39 AM

That is very interesting as the one issued to me as late as January 1952 had a lapel fastening, so it was probably old, pre-war stock. Sadly I lost sight of it many years ago.
johnG
Old 30-04-12, 10:04 AM

I have several TA ones and also a RAFVR one that has it's certificate with it. I am sure there must have been records kept of who they were issued to but where they are now is anyone's guess
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 10-11-20, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
According to the newly-republished Doing Their Bit : Home Front Lapel badges 1939-1945 by Jon Mills (Sabrestorm Publishing) the badge was approved by the King in March 1938 and an initial order placed with the Royal Mint that month. It was designed by a Mr Coombes who worked at the mint and the silver colour was chosen as a link to the silver badges and trimmings worn by the Volunteers.

The badges were numbered and numbers 1 and 2 were presented to the King and Queen as Honorary Colonels of TA regiments. It was issued to all TA officers and ORs on enlistment and came with a certificate but issues ceased in 1939 when the TA was absorbed into the army. All pre-war examples have a lapel fixing. It was revived for the postwar TA in 1947 when a pinback version was introduced for the ATS (later WRAC) TA.

Similar badges exist for the ATS, Royal Army Reserve, Regular Army Reserve of Officers and the RAFVR.

Postwarden
I only discovered the existence of the TA lapel badge today, so this thread, albeit an old one, is most interesting.

As my grandfather re-enlisted into the TA in 1934, serving until the end of WW2, would he have been issued one of these badges retrospectively, do you know, or were they issued only to those who enlisted post 1938?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59E3B3F4-D0D7-4A59-BF08-FAF23DF045AA.jpg (64.3 KB, 8 views)