British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-05-23, 02:20 PM

Default Irish/gaelic button?

Not a lot of age or quality on this souvenir/fashion? button but I would be grateful for any information/translation on it. The letters appear to be Irish.

Thanks,

David.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg irishgaelic1.jpg (106.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg irishgaelic2.jpg (36.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-05-23, 07:16 PM

Example of Gaelic lettering as on the button, courtesy of Wikipedia. Any ideas please?

David.
Attached Images
File Type: png gaelic.png (58.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 15-05-23, 08:45 AM

bump ...

the letters are: dh n h e
google translates dhnhe from scots gaelic into english: today
Old 15-05-23, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btns View Post
bump ...

the letters are: dh n h e
google translates dhnhe from scots gaelic into english: today
First letter in an O .

It appears to be connected to ÓnaÉ :

https://ansionnachfionn.com/2013/12/...eireann-onahe/

On various sites/forums the title is written as OnahÉ :

Quote:
you claimed the National Army were called OnahÉ or Irish Volunteers if you like.

The national army was the continuation of OnahE which they soon after officially referred themselves as.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 15-05-23, 12:00 PM

I've asked a friend about this he says its National Army but not to mistake that with the Irish Army as things were very confusing in the early days of the state and last days of british rule and depending on your ideology there were a number of organisations then and subsequently that claimed to be the rightful 'national army' he says its likely associated with either a pre partition force or has been picked up in later decades by some group or other
Old 15-05-23, 03:05 PM

Thanks very much everyone for your help. Most intriguing, lots to think about here. The first letter is a capital D according to the alphabet in post 2 making DnahE it seems.

David.
Old 15-05-23, 08:37 PM

I still think it is an O

Found a 2018 document from the Dublin and Dún Laoghaire Education and Training Board with a list of the abbreviations they used :

Quote:
OnahÉ........Ollscoil na hÉireann
Ollscoil na hÉireann translates to National University of Ireland.

Quote:
The Irish Universities Act (1908) formed the National University of Ireland, consisting of the three constituent colleges of Dublin, Cork and Galway,
This may be completely off target but could the two 'C's' on the button be for "Cork College" .

PS . According to the alphabet in post 2 there is no É........

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 16-05-23, 01:13 PM

Mike, I think you've got it. Not Cork College but Carysfort College which was a teacher training college. In 1975 it became part of the National University of Ireland.

David.
Old 01-06-23, 12:46 PM

Default Irish / Gaelic Button

I have found the discussion on the Button very interesting and again i am amazed by the depth of knowledge out there. I myself am a collector of Military & Police uniforms. I have a number of buttons (made in U.K.) that when sorted I would like to (Manufacturer) I.D / Date. I have recently been offered a large box of unusual buttons that I have to collect. I know there are some very nice ones in it. There are a number of "Livery" buttons but mainly UK Military.

I should add my collection is mainly Irish (Eire) Military & Police including a small amount from N.Ireland.
Old 04-09-23, 07:44 PM

Default button

I believe these buttons were worn by members of the red cross during the emergency period. I have some myself both small and large. They were worn by one of the following below. Hope this helps.

RANNA CABHAIR DEONTACA CUMANN CROISE DEIRGE NA H-EIREANN : the Volunteer Aid Division, Irish Red Cross (this organisation was mainly connected with working in support of the Armed Forces)

RANNA CEAD-CABHRAC CUMANN CROISE DEIRGE NA H-EIREANN : the First Aid Division, Irish Red Cross (they were mainly connected with working among the civilian population)
Old 04-09-23, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranger2014 View Post
I believe these buttons were worn by members of the red cross during the emergency period. I have some myself both small and large. They were worn by one of the following below. Hope this helps.

RANNA CABHAIR DEONTACA CUMANN CROISE DEIRGE NA H-EIREANN : the Volunteer Aid Division, Irish Red Cross (this organisation was mainly connected with working in support of the Armed Forces)

RANNA CEAD-CABHRAC CUMANN CROISE DEIRGE NA H-EIREANN : the First Aid Division, Irish Red Cross (they were mainly connected with working among the civilian population)
Yes that does help, thank you.

David.