British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-04-15, 06:51 PM

Default Comments needed... Leicestershire

I'm not to sure about this badge... it looks like the slider has been replaced with lugs... no sweat holes for the overlay... comments always appreciated.. Jim
Old 20-04-15, 06:54 PM

Old 23-04-15, 12:47 PM

Default Hi Jim,

Hello, I've seen a cap badge similar to this one, but it has the word 'Hindoostan' written above the tiger, I found out that it was the Royal Leicestershire Infantry Regiment, I've been told they made two different badges, but I can't confirm that.
I believe it's around World War 1 Era.
Hope this helps,
Jaay
Old 23-04-15, 05:53 PM

Yes, it's the badge worn by the Territorial Force battalions of the regiment between 1908 and 1916, on the basis that they had no connection with and thus entitlement to, the battle honour of the old 17th Foot - HINDOOSTAN.
Old 23-04-15, 06:18 PM
Former Member

Jim,
I'm not sure what is going on with your badge and the replacement lugs? I am not saying it is not original but the majority of TF versions of this badge tend to have a Spike/Tuft of grass just forward of the rear leading paw!

Best Regards

Andy
Old 23-04-15, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Has the scroll been cut off?
Old 23-04-15, 08:39 PM

Thanks for all the comments.... no indication that the scroll has been cut off that I can see...
Old 24-04-15, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim a View Post
Thanks for all the comments.... no indication that the scroll has been cut off that I can see...
Don't be completely put off just yet, there were makers variations and badges were sometimes modified at the back for genuine reasons. It is certainly a nice looking striking.
Old 27-04-15, 11:20 AM

Smile

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the delay in responding on your Leicestershire TF badge. It is a clear striking. The rear of the badge is similar to that on an Uppingham OTC badge in my Leicestershire album http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=868 which also lacks the tuft of grass in front of the rear paw but has a slider marked with a makers name as a modern copy. I would, however, put yours down to being a manufacturers variant of a TF badge converted from slider to lugs.

If it were not for the quality of the strike I would be looking for a better example with slider and brazing holes to the rear of the Leicestershire scroll.

Thanks for posting it, cheers Dean.