British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-12-10, 09:49 PM

Default Cavalry arm badges

I can only speak for my post SWW experience. In the two regiments in which I served, FGH and LdSH(RC), cap badges as arm badges were worn on the right sleeve chevrons, by sergeants confirmed in rank. Lance sergeants and acting sergeants wore no badge on their three chevrons.
BTW, Bill Miller, the correct nomenclature for TQMS is Technical Quartermaster Sergeant, and in latter years he was ranked as a Warrant Officer Class II (Crown within wreath). While I would be last to try arguing with Harry Quarton, it was perhaps the case that he was a confirmed sergeant, Acting TQMS.
Wyn
Old 18-12-10, 10:01 PM

Default Standing corrected.

Thanks for the correction Wyn, while I have seen the abbrev. TQMS many times in my armoured regiment document research I had never seen it written out in full.

I found Sgt Quarton's photo interesting as it was the tank badge and not regt'l insignia on the chevrons. I hadn't seen that before. You may be quite right in that he was an A/TQMS. In informal writing about rank (in letters or on the backs of photos) I have often found that "acting" rank was seldom distinguished. (ie. A/Sgt. Jones was just written/reffered to as Sgt. Jones). This could be the case here.
Old 19-12-10, 02:36 PM

Default Beret badge

Hi Bill and all: In looking at the photo, on the SAR site, it looks as if, to me at least, that the beret badge looks too large for the SAR cap badge. The photo is not clear enough to be certain what unit it belongs to. Perhaps I am suffering from too many birthdays. Opinions, please.

Cheers

Moe.
Old 19-12-10, 02:54 PM

In the British army a TQMS would have been a Technical Quartermaster Segeant and a confirmed rank would more commonly be called Substansive (as opposed to Acting). I never came across a Tank Sergeant major which could, of course , been an appointment that was obsolete by the time I joined up in 1958.
Old 19-12-10, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

The tank badge on the rank is a bit puzzling. Is it possible it may be a metal tank? There are examples of metal badges that are the silhouette of the First World War tank.
Old 19-12-10, 06:34 PM

Default metal badge.

Bill, I think you're right, it's shape seems larger and is more pronounced than that of a cloth sleeve. Either way it does seem very unusual, I have never seen that in any other Canadian Armoured personnel photos.

Moe: I think the cap badges both men are wearing in the original are just the generic CAC badge (also a generic "Canada" title).
Old 20-12-10, 09:14 PM

Anyone able to discern what Quarton is wearing above the chevrons?
You are correct REMEVMBEA1; the Canadian Army followed the British Army nomenclature, using "substantive" rather than "confirmed" as I stated above.

Wyn
Old 20-12-10, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Wyn, Would that not be a crown for his rank?
Old 30-10-11, 12:00 PM

Here is a photo of NCOs from the Windsor Regiment wearing a small WWI Tank (from the cap badge) on their sleeves as indication of substansive rank.
SrNCOs-crop2.JPG