British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-05-11, 08:33 PM

Default Royal Highlanders Canada HUGE Silver Badge Help!

I found this HUGE 'silver' badge with an ornate Boars head within a wreath on it & 'Royal Highlanders of Canada' at the bottom with 5 at the top & 'ne obliviscaris'.
It measures 10.5cms diameter.
Can anyone tell me anything about it - I;m assuming its a ceremonial badge?
I had it tested for silver but its silver plate.
If anyone has any idea of value that would be appreciated too!

Thanks in advance
Maxine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6180002.jpg (52.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg P6180008.jpg (22.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 19-05-11, 09:05 PM

Hi Maxine,

this is a pipers or drummers plaid brooch, it would have been worn on the shoulder to hold a tartan 'sash'.
Similar to the one in the attached photo.
Don't know about the value but would imagine it would be worth a bit.
Hope this helps
Regards
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg London~Jun~03.jpg (33.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 01-06-11, 09:10 PM

I love these "one hit wonders" who want to pick our brains in order to make money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en

From his description - I particularly like the part about selling it for an elderly friend along with the verbatim description from Bill/Snowdrop 68.

"I'm selling this rare item on behalf of an elderly friend, so will list with the information I've been given & some I've researched:

This auction is for a rare plaid badge that would have been worn on the shoulder to hold a tartan 'sash'. The outer circle is made of silver plate & the ornate center piece (that is separate to the outer 'doughnut' & held in place with 3 lugs & pins) is made of pewter. THIS IS NOT A REPRO!

The top pewter section has a Canadian Maple Leaf, beneath which is the number 5. Then latin 'ne obliviscaris' which is the motto of the Clan Campbell, meaning 'Forget me not'.

Around the center hole is a wreath of maple leaves, the center of which is dominated by a wonderful Boars Head.

Beneath all that in a ribbon is 'Royal Highlanders of Canada' "

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 01-06-11 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-06-11, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps max would donate some of the profits from the badge sale to the Forum. That would be some recognition for the assistance that the vendor received.
Old 01-06-11, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.whitecat View Post
I found this HUGE 'silver' badge with an ornate Boars head within a wreath on it & 'Royal Highlanders of Canada' at the bottom with 5 at the top & 'ne obliviscaris'.
It measures 10.5cms diameter.
Can anyone tell me anything about it - I;m assuming its a ceremonial badge?
I had it tested for silver but its silver plate.
If anyone has any idea of value that would be appreciated too!

Thanks in advance
Maxine
Would it be true to say that you have entered this Forum purely to make money from the knowledge and expertise of others ? Forgive my directness but I smell a rat !
Old 02-06-11, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
Would it be true to say that you have entered this Forum purely to make money from the knowledge and expertise of others ? Forgive my directness but I smell a rat !
There have been a few people join the forum asking for info on a badge and then listing it on eBay. I would like to see a member-wide boycott on answering such requests.

Phil
Old 02-06-11, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Phil,Your concern is certainly valid. This pattern of posting has been increasing, but the question remains, how do we know that the enquiry is sales research? How do we vet posts that are asking for information without lessening the Forum?
Old 02-06-11, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Phil,Your concern is certainly valid. This pattern of posting has been increasing, but the question remains, how do we know that the enquiry is sales research? How do we vet posts that are asking for information without lessening the Forum?
Bill,

When I see a post similar to the one that started this thread - no introduction, no previous posts, nothing offered to the forum and a request for value, I won't reply if I have the answers. I seem to recall a forum member telling us that we have an obligation to share our knowledge. I don't believe that. I'm not about to tell somebody everything I know so they can make money from it. Consultants and advisors are paid for the knowledge that they have acquired through education and experience.
I realise that this is a hobby, but the dealers and basement dealers are able to charge high prices for badges because of what the hobbyists are paying. There are many dealers who share their knowledge and give fair breaks to collectors. They provide a great service to the hobby in acquiring items that may not be otherwise available and attending show and fairs. I mention this so I don't get a raft of angry posts accusing me of slamming dealers.
In this case, Maxine came out of the woodwork to pick our brains and then didn't even have the manners to offer the plaid brooch to members of the forum first. Maxine certainly isn't shy about a Cdn$1995.00 "Buy it Now" price.
I've seen some of these posters lay down a "challenge" to members of the forum if an answer to their query isn't forthcoming. The result is that somebody will answer the question to boost their ego and their number of posts.

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 02-06-11 at 01:07 AM.