British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-10-10, 02:35 PM

Default FOX Restrikes

Talking to a friend yesterday who mentioned Fox restrikes. Having probably already given him cauliflower ear from ringing him I didn't like to keep him from his afternoon nap! Is there a link that will let me see what Foxs' restrikes were all about? I've tried Google but not had much luck there.
Old 04-10-10, 04:07 PM

Smile Fox Restrikes

From what I have read and heard, Fox operated at Southsea around 1900 and made pre-territorial Glengarry badges for the collectors market.

YES! they were restriking as far back as that . . !

Apparently there was some wear to the die and there is an imperfection on the orb of the crown. This is now irrelevant IMO as they now fall into the genuine antique field being over 100 years old.

They also made some other items such as a piece of horse furniture to the Scinde Camel Corps with loops on the reverse, this must again have been for the collectors market.
Old 04-10-10, 04:58 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Rob,

How's it going ??

Do you happen to know if there is a right way for the lugs on those pre-Territorial Glengarrys, ie, N/S, E/W, or both ? and was it Fox who always used N/S positioning ??

Not a trick question mate but I'm after a specific Glengarry and I never know which is which ??????

Regards.

Dave.

PS. Thanks for the dating of the Fox re-strikes, I was always under the impression that he started right after the Great War ??

Last edited by davec2; 04-10-10 at 05:00 PM. Reason: PS
Old 05-10-10, 03:59 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hi Rob,

How's it going ??

Do you happen to know if there is a right way for the lugs on those pre-Territorial Glengarrys, ie, N/S, E/W, or both ? and was it Fox who always used N/S positioning ??

Not a trick question mate but I'm after a specific Glengarry and I never know which is which ??????

Regards.

Dave.

PS. Thanks for the dating of the Fox re-strikes, I was always under the impression that he started right after the Great War ??

Dave,
Hope you are well.
I must recommend Jeff Willaims book if you want to 'get serious' with PT Glengarries. Most of the Fox ones were done E&W (but not all), whereas the originals were N&S (some were E&W). Can't remember (from memory) which way it was, but lugs were copper on one and brass on the other. Jeffs book (and no, I don't have shares....) says it all. Great pictures and a wealth of information. (send me the cheque later Jeff).
Fox started up around 1901'ish - but definitely pre Great War. They bought up all the old (and worn) dies - which is why orb wear is very pronounced and a good pointer. I have 3 or maybe 4 'goodies' and when you compare the 2 types they are very different in striking and detail - even apart from the lug material. I also have one that has been repaired with lead - but I won't be getting the 'guru' to repair it...... Sorry mate. All the best.

David

Last edited by wright241; 05-10-10 at 04:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-10-10, 08:03 AM

Crumbs David...what an accolade ! I don't deserve it, but thanks all the same (cheque in the post lol).
If you are interested Lampwick, there is a parallel chat re Fox restrikes and N-S lugs etc on the "68th Foot glengarry badge" thread (sorry I don't know how to do links).
Re this, perhaps I should have said "the Standard garter and stringed-bugle badges"...since there were of course exceptions. Regards Jeff
Old 05-10-10, 03:17 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Thanks David,

That certainly was a recommendation and a half, I bet Jeff's blushing madly now, mind you, that depends on how big the cheque is

I can't honestly say that I will be seriously into Glengarrys but I will keep my eyes open for the book......£££££££'s allowing of course, I always like to have a few varied reference books to hand anyway.

My main reason is that some-one had spotted a Worcesters ( 29 ) and I would have been interested had the lugs not been E/W ?? as you know, there are some lovely Worcestershire Reg't gear about and it always attracts me.

Thanks again, take care.

Dave.