British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-10-10, 03:32 PM
Former Member

I have heard that there were two versions of Cambs? (e and no e)..Likewise 23rd London (-2 and 02) What about Honourless Leics?

Andy
Old 03-10-10, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Only ever seen the 'with e' version. As for the Leicestershires I will need to ask KLR.
Old 03-10-10, 03:44 PM

Smile

I may be slow, but I am persistent. Does that mean I am a turtle? Alan, what do ACD and KLR stand for? I'm on a roll, being enlightened that is, so I'll ask the dumb question. I have seen several dealers offering the "British" all-brass 1916 BW badge on their web sites. It makes me wonder how accurate their other descriptions of badges are. Andy, I did look at your album. I appreciate your pointing it out to me.

About being a turtle... In the end we win, you know.

Thanks guys.

Don
Old 03-10-10, 04:10 PM

Cool Cambridgeshire without the "e"

The Cambs without the "e" is only found on bi-metal badges which were issued to the Cambs early in WWII. They were I believe recalled and issued to the Home Guard and cadet force.

1916 issues badges without the "e" I would think are spurios, I have never seen or heard of them and would only describe them as a "fantasy of a restriker". Also the all white metal version of the Cambridgshires without the "e" is in fact the WWII issue with the scroll removed.

Buyers beware . . !
Old 03-10-10, 04:47 PM

KLR - King's Liverpool Regiment
ACD - Not sure, Army Code for Dress ??
Old 03-10-10, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

KLR is a forum member and Army Committee for Dress (the board who authorise clothing design for production).
Old 03-10-10, 05:41 PM

Default nickel shortage?

Alan,

Thinking about the production of badges in 1916, if there was a shortage of any metal it would have been brass, not nickel. Millions for rounds of small arms ammunition were being produced, as well as artillery ammunition (18 pounder, for example), all of which required a lot of brass. I believe that the ACD wished to speed up the production of badges which would explain why bimetal badges became all brass. It eliminated a lot of steps in production. I hate to disagree with John Gaylor, but...

Don
Old 03-10-10, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
KLR is a forum member and Army Committee for Dress (the board who authorise clothing design for production).
ACD = Army Clothing Department
RACD = Royal Army Clothing Department
ADC = Army Dress Committee
Old 03-10-10, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

yes that will be them.

Thanks

Alan
Old 03-10-10, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

The other contender for a TF economy would be the 7-9th Middlesex. There was a very short period between all brass abdges being authorised and the decision to replace bespoke TF badges with the usual regular bn badges with the battlehonours.
Old 03-10-10, 06:31 PM

How about this one?
Old 03-10-10, 07:22 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilationtcornpone View Post
Alan,

Thinking about the production of badges in 1916, if there was a shortage of any metal it would have been brass, not nickel. Millions for rounds of small arms ammunition were being produced, as well as artillery ammunition (18 pounder, for example), all of which required a lot of brass. I believe that the ACD wished to speed up the production of badges which would explain why bimetal badges became all brass. It eliminated a lot of steps in production. I hate to disagree with John Gaylor, but...

Don
Hi Don,

Don't put yourself down ( ealier post ), we all have to learn and asking questions is about the best way that we can, no-one can be denser than me, I can forget what I'm being told while I'm being told it, if you follow ??

As for the economy badges, I was always under the impression that the economy savings were literally in time taken on production, I strike, one shank, therefore less production time.

Of course, I could be wrong !!

Dave.
Old 03-10-10, 07:28 PM

There are 11 listed TF (infy) all GM badges - including the Camb and 23 London.
There are 26 Infy of the Line all GM badges.
It is much more difficult sorting out the cavalry ones.
The RACD orders on WM is quite straightforward: any all WM ones would remain all WM. Dave is right about the reasons !
The information I'm using / researching has been available to public scrtiny since the early 1990s !

This is something I've been writing / researching with a colleague who has sadly died and I'm having to sort through his final notes, so please bear with me !
Incidentally we are looking at all sorts of 1st WW badge provisions, all GM badges are just one aspect !

KLR / Julian

Last edited by KLR; 03-10-10 at 08:43 PM. Reason: agreeing with Dave
Old 03-10-10, 07:48 PM

Was the Lincolnshire Regiment badge made in an economy version. I have never seen one in the flesh but recall seeing one on a Canadian site and it is also on Gaylors list.
Old 03-10-10, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Not unless one of my 24 is a wrong one (I await an Inniskilling and a Leinster to make 25 and 26!) Of these 24 designs all have an overlaid part unlike the Lincs that only had a tagged scroll.

Alan