British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-10-10, 12:16 PM

Default Some advice to collectors !!

A thread for a wet Sunday afternoon.

Some ( interesting ) advice for badge collectors on this web site.

http://www.mbmilitaria.com/shop/shop.php
P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 03-10-10, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting but I will stick to my mantra that his brass b/w badge is Canadian, the brass Somersets is not a genuine econmy, the SWB should have a slider and not lugs to be genuine 1916 all brass issue and that the decision to make some badges in all brass had nothing to do with any nickel shortage whatever Gaylor said.
Old 03-10-10, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Interesting but I will stick to my mantra that his brass b/w badge is Canadian, the brass Somersets is not a genuine econmy, the SWB should have a slider and not lugs to be genuine 1916 all brass issue and that the decision to make some badges in all brass had nothing to do with any nickel shortage whatever Gaylor said.
I've news for him too. VB badges did have scrolls or plaques added.
Old 03-10-10, 01:36 PM

Default RND Chief Petty Officer

An RND Chief Petty Officer badge with lugs - is that kosher?
Old 03-10-10, 01:43 PM

I have a number of Volunteer badges in blackened brass in my collection which I should now be lucky to get £40 each for.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 03-10-10, 02:05 PM

Dead right Whizzbang. Blades only in my opinion.

I'd want a really close hard look at quite a few of these badges
Old 03-10-10, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
I have a number of Volunteer badges in blackened brass in my collection which I should now be lucky to get £40 each for.

P.B.
Rather a shame that in the photo of my Great-Grandad his VB helmet plate is blackened brass with w/m or silver highlights - I'll have to borrow the Tardis & go back in time to tell him it's a fake!
Old 03-10-10, 02:18 PM

Default An "Expert's" Opinion

Following this thread this morning it seems to me that we are back to the discussion of what constitutes an expert. Most of us probably don't think of ourselves as experts. But no one can collect anything without becoming at least somewhat knowledgeable about what they collect. This dealer's interest, he states, is Japanese swords, which leads me to believe that his knowledge in general is a mile wide and an inch deep, which fits my prejudice about dealers. Was the B/W produced in brass in 1916 for the Brits, Canadians, or both? I only know what I've read, here and in Gaylor's book. Would someone with some actual facts at their fingertips address this question. I don't mean to insult anyone, just tell me why you believe what you are saying. Is there a reference book about the all brass 1916 badges? Could Alan, or someone else post their list of units that had an all brass badge. I, for one, would appreciate it.

Don

To quote Ronald Reagan; "Trust, but verify"
Old 03-10-10, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Another perspective on "expert", as discussed in definition of an expert?
Old 03-10-10, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry Don, was writing as you posted...
Old 03-10-10, 02:27 PM
Former Member

Default WW1 Economy Issue Infantry badges

Don,
not wanting to blow my own trumpet, but if you look in my 1916 all GM album, you will see the list of Regular Infantry Regiments who were offically authorised to have ALL BRASS (GM) badges, there is also info on the subject and although the badges are all over the place (Forum drawback).. You will see examples from only 26 Regiments in total, there are one or two extra for illustration purposes! Since creating the album my collection of EIs has swelled somewhat, many of which are not pictured but are just variations of what is already shown! If a badge is not amongst what I have displayed then the STRONG chances are that it is either a fake, an unauthorised badge or just not a 1916 EI.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=400

Andy
Old 03-10-10, 02:29 PM

Bill,

That is the thread I had in mind.

Don
Old 03-10-10, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Andy's album shows the written record of the ACD decision. It clearly states the all wm badges were to remain as they were. Add to this the valued opinion of the Canadian forum's members that the brass BW badge is one of theirs.

As for a published work on 1916 economy badges you will have to wait KLR's forthcoming article which is based on factual records. If you read Gaylor's work carefully he is deliberately ambiuous where he states that his published work is a product of collectors' corresponsdence in the 1960s. I would propose that the spurious ones are cast badges, officers collars and suchlike.

The defence rests their case your honour.

missing from the Infantry collection is the Cambridgeshire regt badge of which I do have an example.
Old 03-10-10, 02:58 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Andy's album shows the written record of the ACD decision. It clearly states the all wm badges were to remain as they were. Add to this the valued opinion of the Canadian forum's members that the brass BW badge is one of theirs.

As for a published work on 1916 economy badges you will have to wait KLR's forthcoming article which is based on factual records. If you read Gaylor's work carefully he is deliberately ambiuous where he states that his published work is a product of collectors' corresponsdence in the 1960s. I would propose that the spurious ones are cast badges, officers collars and suchlike.

The defence rests their case your honour.

missing from the Infantry collection is the Cambridgeshire regt badge of which I do have an example.
Alan,
Cambridgeshire is not missing, my album is only of Regular Infantry, Cambs is Territorial like 23rd Londons!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG8948.jpg (36.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8949.jpg (34.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-10-10, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Andy,

If you add those 2 in then I think that will be the complete set. I don't believe that there were any others.

Alan