British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-09-10, 10:12 AM
LYPAO Boff

Default Helmet Collectors - Advice needed...

Hi All

Question for the Helmet Collectors amongst the Forum

The LYPAO Assoc. has recently aquired (for free) an Officers DYC helmet c1880s - complete, we are trying to value it to add it to our insurance list of items.

1880s pattern

The helmet, on the main body, "has been" very dented. It has since been knocked back into shape..... but the old dent marks are still visible.

1. What would a buyer pay for this helmet in this condition.
2. If the helmet was pierced on the main body would this also have a big affect on its value (we have a Troopers DYC Helmet that has been struck through by a Lance - Mess Games incident!).

PM me if you wish to

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 28-09-10, 10:58 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

1) If its in perfect (relatively speaking) condition i.e. complete with chin chain, horsehair, rosettes, gilding in good condition and (generally) was undamaged - a few 'dings' won't make that much difference, but a hole will!!. Bearing in mind its not 'as popular' as (say) the regular cavalry regiment - or even the Irish related ones - I would have thought that insured value would be around 2 to 2.5k.
If its got no 'tin' remove 150, if its attributable to a specific officer, add the 150 back on.
An 1847 Shropshire Yeomanry one went last year for 2.2k (Bosleys public auction Sept 2009) - no tin, but in good condition. Yours also looks more like an 1847 pattern than an 1871. I may be wrong because I don't have any Yeomanry ones at all. However, Both my 1847 plates (and helmets) to the 7thDG and 6ID look like yours. The 1871 design was much less 'fussy' than the earlier one. I don't have any reference books on Yeomanry regiments but I hope this helps.
2) Yes it would lower the price if damaged by stupid mess pranks- if it was battle damage - the price would rise.
david

Last edited by Alan O; 28-09-10 at 12:15 PM.
Old 28-09-10, 12:06 PM
LYPAO Boff

David

Thanks for that its much appreciated

FYI, here is a c1850 pattern DYC Officers, the top brush and the front band are different to the later pattern :-

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 28-09-10, 12:33 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
David

Thanks for that its much appreciated

FYI, here is a c1850 pattern DYC Officers, the top brush and the front band are different to the later pattern :-

No problems.
You are right. I didn't pay enough attention the horsehair mounting. The original posted one looks almost identical to the 1871 regular cavalry pattern.
All the best, David

Last edited by wright241; 28-09-10 at 12:45 PM. Reason: typo