British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Military Book and Media Reviews

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-09-20, 06:11 PM

Default Army Cadet badges , reference book, are there any

I have been looking for a reference book on Army cadet cloth badges , but so far no luck, are there any out there.
Old 02-09-20, 07:08 PM

The only one as far as I know is Keith Rawlings book
David
Old 02-09-20, 08:43 PM

Not reference "books" - but have you looked in the members Albums here?

Try this
Old 02-09-20, 11:50 PM

Do you mean headdress & titles, their trade & qualification badges or both?

If the former, my forum albums (in the earlier link) and website covers most of the known ones for Essex cadet units. Very few cloth headdress badges were produced. If you wanted any more info on those units I'm happy to try to help (I have been writing up notes with the thought that I might one day publish them.)

I'm not aware of any published material for the latter, though there may well be.

M
Old 03-09-20, 07:26 AM

I wish there was one covering there cap badges currently being worn, especially as there seems to be 500 new cadet units formed in the last 5 years
Old 03-09-20, 08:07 AM

For my own collection I have the badges to the Wiltshire A C F -23 detachments and the Welsh A C F 141 detachments currently being worn These were in my album section for sometime ,now deleted
e.g WELSH - Q D G -MOLD ,PORTMADOG .PEMBROKESHIRE ,COLDICOT
WILTSHIRE ROYAL WESSEX YEO- DORCAN
ROYAL YEO -SWINDON ACADEMY etc
Most of the C C F units also wear the cap badge of the affiliated regiments/corps exception being Marlborough College which has its own shoulder title and ''new badge '' ;this being the earlier badge Marlborough college cadet corps This new badge is cast
Over the years I have written to most of the units asking for information on insignia worn

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 03-09-20 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-09-20, 10:01 AM

I recall have a conversation with the OC at Hurstpierpoint college a few years ago. He was saying that virtually all the units that were in the PWRR area were wearing PWRR cap badges,his included. He was the only person who was allowed to wear the old Bird cap badge. In fact,he was the only person who had one in the unit.
There seems to be the odd unit that's not attached to either their local Cavalry or Infantry Regt and is wearing their cap badge.
Old 21-09-20, 03:03 PM

Major John Waring, founder of the Military Heraldry Society published one of his series of Identification Pamphlets with 39 pages devoted to Cadet titles and sign. Sample pages attached. The illustrations are line drawings but the text describes the colours.

PM me if interested.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Waring Cdt 1.jpg (75.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Waring Cdt 2.jpg (95.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 21-09-20, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Major John Waring, founder of the Military Heraldry Society published one of his series of Identification Pamphlets with 39 pages devoted to Cadet titles and sign. Sample pages attached. The illustrations are line drawings but the text describes the colours.

PM me if interested.

Jon
And if you're really sad (like me !), you will have coloured it in so that they easier to identify at a glance !

PL
Old 21-09-20, 04:06 PM

[QUOTE=49lassiepen;521360]For my own collection I have the badges to the Wiltshire A C F -23 detachments and the Welsh A C F 141 detachments currently being worn These were in my album section for sometime ,now deleted
e.g WELSH - Q D G -MOLD ,PORTMADOG .PEMBROKESHIRE ,COLDICOT
WILTSHIRE ROYAL WESSEX YEO- DORCAN
ROYAL YEO -SWINDON ACADEMY etc

No Royal Yeomanry any more all Wessex Yeomany.
Old 21-09-20, 04:09 PM

Yes, I need to buy the "Warings" and I was just wondering - colour all of the illustrations in with felt tip?

I did that with a little recognition book I produced (photo copies and "onion skins") in Cyprus in '78, but there were far less badges......
Old 21-09-20, 04:34 PM

R E ME 245 was when I did my board some time ago Will have to update
David
Old 21-09-20, 04:56 PM

You were correct then but when A Squadron was removed from the RWY the ACF Detachments also changed.

My detachment in its time has been CLB, KRRC, Wiltshire Regt, RWY, Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment, Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment and now the Rifles. I would like to revert to RWY but they will tell you thats its very difficult to get permission and the Rifles would have to consent. That did not however stop another detachment with an ex-RTR DC and our CEO at the time being ex-RTR being rebadged.
Old 21-09-20, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REME 245 View Post
. I would like to revert to RWY but they will tell you thats its very difficult to get permission and the Rifles would have to consent. That did not however stop another detachment with an ex-RTR DC and our CEO at the time being ex-RTR being rebadged.
Its not really that difficult (consult AC 14323 Army Cadet Force Regulations, the full process is in there). One of the detachments in my county was badged Parachute Regiment and is now badged Grenadier Guards (we currently have eight different cap badges in the County - Grenadier Guards, RLC, Royal Artillery, RAMC, Royal Engineers, Parachute regiment, Royal Anglian and Royal Lancers)

PL
Old 21-09-20, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Yes, I need to buy the "Warings" and I was just wondering - colour all of the illustrations in with felt tip?

I did that with a little recognition book I produced (photo copies and "onion skins") in Cyprus in '78, but there were far less badges......
Not felt tips - Lakeland Crayons, much easier to keep inside the lines !

PL