British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-01-13, 06:37 AM

Default Enamel Chaplain Badge

I was wondering if anyone can help me find out about this badge. I bought it about a year ago on ebay. Brooker's states that no known Canadian full dress badges are known. This badge is clearly marked. Is it post war?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.9 KB, 145 views)
Old 06-01-13, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Chimo, The Chaplains were/are a unique service in the Armed Forces; every member is an officer. Officers had far greater latitude in dress regs (or ignoring dress regs) than other ranks. And, officers' were required to purchase most of their insignia in the time period of the king's crown badges. It is quite possible that a Chaplain would purchase a full dress badge. Of note, some Chaplain isnignia was purchased from Gaunt and based on the imperial pattern. Your being clearly marked Scully is interesting.
Could you post an image of the obverse?
Old 06-01-13, 05:29 PM

Sorry, here is the front of the badge. I couldn't figure out how to add a second photo using the iPad. Does anyone know what an approximate value would be? I know it is subjective but just a ball park figure.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.3 KB, 147 views)
Old 06-01-13, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Chimo, That is a very nice badge. Excellent workmanship and finish. A prize piece for a Canadian Chaplain collection.
Old 06-01-13, 07:19 PM

Chimo: My understanding from Dave Love is that, since all chaplains are officers, these badges are all private purchase. They come in just about every shade of the rainbow, depending on the personal preference of the chaplain. He has gold, yellow, blue, red and purple at least. If you want more info from Dave about this, pm me and I'll give you a contact number.
Old 07-01-13, 01:46 AM

Not to hijack the thread, but are you talking about coloured badges like these, David? Can you get your friend on the forum so he can tell us what these are?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCS coloured.jpg (51.1 KB, 109 views)
Old 07-01-13, 11:56 PM

Those would be they, Doug. I'll poke Dave and see if he will share some info.
Old 08-01-13, 01:51 AM

Default Enamel Chaplain Badges

Hi, Dave Love here. In my collection, I have several badges that are essentially identical to the regular military dress chaplain badge, except they do have different colours of enamel. The regular military pattern has dark blue enamel, but I also have examples with yellow, green, orange, two shades of red and maroon/wine coloured enamels. They are exremely attractive and eye-catching. However, nowhere in my collecting have I found any reference or explanation to these different colours of enamel, officially or otherwise. They appear on ebay and other sale sites reasonably regularly so they are probably not single anomalies. While none of them show manufacturers' marks, the fact that they are essentially of identical construction other than the enamel colour suggests some connection with military chaplains. I don't have an answer for you but I have thought for some time now that these may relate to the masonic order and specifically to the Knights Templar. The Knights use other items in their regalia that are very close to military chaplain insignia and they share the same motto "In Hoc Signo Vinces". This is understandable because the original Knights Templar and military chaplains do share certain commonalities between their respective histories.
Old 08-01-13, 02:06 AM

Here's Dave's answer to my asking about the coloured badges, Doug:

"As to the coloured badges, I don't have any explanation because I have never found any description, official or otherwise, about those. Bill A. and I have had lengthy discussions about them and we are both somewhat at a loss. The fact that they are identical, other than enamel colour, to the standard military version means there may be a connection. However, I am beginning to think these relate more to the masonic order, specifically the Knights Templer. The chaplaincy and the Knights share quite a bit of common history and that may be the connection."

You can bug him for more at canwehelp@cmhs.ca
Old 01-02-21, 10:46 PM

What about this piece. Is it worth to restoration or still common enough badge?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210201_224505.jpg (66.5 KB, 63 views)
I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 24-10-21, 09:39 AM

As for the coloured chaplains badges, spoken info directly from the retired Chaplain CF1 (Colonel equiv) who wrote the last full issue dress regulations and sat as its committee chairman told me was they're just fake / fantasy, likeky produced in Canada.

As to the comment about badges for chaplains all being private purchase that's because officers get a voucher for their own initial kit issue and have to pay for the rest. This doesn't mean there isn't an officially recognised standard sealed pattern of their equipment - Goldings are their official tailor (handwritten response from my letter direct to the Chaplain-General)

Regards
Old 25-10-21, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo9000 View Post
Sorry, here is the front of the badge. I couldn't figure out how to add a second photo using the iPad. Does anyone know what an approximate value would be? I know it is subjective but just a ball park figure.

Thanks
Quite a bit of work there! Very nice badge!