British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-12-14, 02:47 PM

Default Interesting Badge Combination

Here is an interesting badge combination that you do not see every day.

Old 31-12-14, 03:12 PM

Part Two Orders instruct everyone how to wear their poppy but it varies from unit to unit. We, like most, wore ours behind the beret or cap badge. Unlike our shamrock which was pinned to the chest on the l/h side.
Old 31-12-14, 03:53 PM

& I thought it was that badge he is wearing on his upper left sleeve!
Incidentally, what is that badge?

In the old RCN we wore our poppies on the left side of our caps above the cap ribbon bow.

RCN Bryan
Old 31-12-14, 04:03 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
Part Two Orders instruct everyone how to wear their poppy but it varies from unit to unit. We, like most, wore ours behind the beret or cap badge. Unlike our shamrock which was pinned to the chest on the l/h side.
You Mean Part One orders, Part Two orders relate to pay and promotion processes!

Andy
Old 31-12-14, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
& I thought it was that badge he is wearing on his upper left sleeve!
Incidentally, what is that badge?

In the old RCN we wore our poppies on the left side of our caps above the cap ribbon bow.

RCN Bryan
I see what you mean. Then again there is the juxtaposition of the RAMC badge on the chap behind the one in the foreground.

I have seen blokes wearing poppies behind the l/h chinstrap button of SD caps (No 1 or Khaki). It seems to vary because of different Colonel's preferences or historical reasons.
Old 31-12-14, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
You Mean Part One orders, Part Two orders relate to pay and promotion processes!

Andy
I mean Part One orders.

Who'dathought an ex-squaddy would ever get that wrong?
Old 31-12-14, 04:13 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
I mean Part One orders.

Who'dathought an ex-squaddy would ever get that wrong?

Happy New Year!

Andy
Old 31-12-14, 04:14 PM

Gents; remember that Canadian Dress Regulations are very different from those of the UK and also that in Canada the regulations for wearing the Poppy, which used to be on the headdress, changed in the mid-1990s. Poppy position is now determined by which order of dress the CF member is wearing.

The Poppy was not the reason why I posted the image.

The flag is Trinidad and Tobago.
Old 31-12-14, 04:19 PM

Yes, after Unification, the CF continued to wear the poppy on head gear, on the forage cap band above the left ear and just beside the cap badge on the beret. Then sometime in the '90's it was changed to wear on the uniform. On the combat uniform slip-ons or left collars of dress uniforms. Others can correct me, but the reason for the change was that when you removed your head dress you were not wearing a poppy and not showing remembrance.

As for the photo, give us a clue Ed. Can't see the badge that well on the beret, but to my eye doesn't look CF. The gent is an Officer Cadet, and appears to have a red stripe at the top of his rank slip-on. The flag on his left shoulder is not Canadian, so is this individual a foreign national undergoing training somewhere in Canada? Or is this a case of a special Reserve exercise formation (a la "Distinguishing Patches" by Clive Law et al)?

Ian

P.S. Sorry Ed, was typing this in response to RCN's post #3 and missed all the following posts. So, When and Where? CFRS St. Jean, this past November??
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 31-12-14, 04:30 PM

Default Interesting badge combination.....

Ed:
Thanks for the arm patch ID. Was beginning to think that Stalwart Guardian patches were making a comeback!
Interesting to speculate on the who/where/how of the photo. For what it is worth, I`ll speculate that the photo is representative of an Officer Cadet from Trinadad & Tobego, possibly from either RMC or CMR, attending a parade with his classmates close to or on 11 Nov. Interesting name tags being worn, perhaps temporary issues?
Cheers,
John S.
Old 31-12-14, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
Gents; remember that Canadian Dress Regulations are very different from those of the UK and also that in Canada the regulations for wearing the Poppy, which used to be on the headdress, changed in the mid-1990s. Poppy position is now determined by which order of dress the CF member is wearing.

The Poppy was not the reason why I posted the image.

The flag is Trinidad and Tobago.
I didn't even notice the flag but I claim immunity from slagging on the grounds that I am a founder member of the SHaGTS Club. (Should have gone to Specsavers).
Old 31-12-14, 05:37 PM

The Cap Badge appears to be naval, it was the flag that caught my eye. Trinidad and Tobago flag with CANADA Officer Cadet rank on this trainee.
Old 31-12-14, 05:38 PM

If the officer cadet is not from Canada, he should not be wearing "CANADA" on his slip on.

The officer cadet in question appears to have a red bar part way up his slip on. It is partly obscured by the poppy.
I'm wondering if these are officer candidates who are going through basic or phase training and are on an exercise where there are different forces being pitted against eachother.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 31-12-14, 06:05 PM

There must be a reasonable explanation.
Old 31-12-14, 06:47 PM

Default CMTAP

Canada has been providing military assistance to Trinidad and Tobago through the Canadian Military Training and Assistance Program since the 1970s.