British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-09-14, 12:07 PM

Default Hampshire Rgt plastic cap badge

In my collection I have several plastic badges: this one is a Hampshire Regiment cap badge with a lovely detail. I was just wondering what about faked plastic badges, how do you recognize them, if at all is it possible to recognize them.... thank you much in advance for your opinons, gents!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hampshire_Plastic_Cap_Badge_1.jpg (89.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Hampshire_Plastic_Cap_Badge_2.jpg (76.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Hampshire_Plastic_Cap_Badge_3.jpg (60.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 16-09-14, 12:13 PM

A good original. Only a few of the plastic badges have been faked as far as I am aware and all look obviously wrong of those I have seen, the closest looking to the original example is the Canadian Para badge, but even that has mistakes that make it obviously wrong when compared to an original.

Jerry
Old 16-09-14, 12:50 PM

Hello Jerry,
How much photographic evidence have you seen of these being worn, I have to say that whilst I've never really looked, there are precious few photographs around.
Kind regards Frank
Old 16-09-14, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Jerry,
How much photographic evidence have you seen of these being worn, I have to say that whilst I've never really looked, there are precious few photographs around.
Kind regards Frank
Well, I can not really say that the technical standards of WWII photography do always let you tell the difference between a metal or a plastic badge.... but at least one can be sure that a plastic badge would not shine!
Old 16-09-14, 01:12 PM

Frank,

I have seen pictures of wartime plastic badges in use, though as Loupie already mentioned it is not always possible to tell if they are being worn in period images.

I have a GS cap with a plastic RE badge on it named to an officer in the RE which I assume is original to it, it was sold as such.

I also have my fathers cap badge from his service in the 30's through to the 50's and that is the plastic version, though I have to assume it was not the only one he had, as obviously he joined prior to them being issued.

Jerry

Last edited by Alan O; 20-10-14 at 10:19 AM.
Old 16-09-14, 01:19 PM

This one was posted on another forum by a member of his Dad in WWII which appears to be a plastic badge on a GS cap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jwp's dad (Medium).jpg (34.8 KB, 55 views)

Jerry
Old 16-09-14, 01:22 PM

It is difficult to find photographs of WW2 economy badges being worn but this one to the York and Lancs shows both B/M and plastic badges being worn (see close up).

Ivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guy_on_a_gun_photoshop.jpg (72.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Guy_on_a_gun_head shot photoshop.jpg (86.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 16-09-14, 01:36 PM

At least 8 of these signalers have the dark brown plastic badges on their GS caps. You can see some of them in the detail image. I knew that I had at least one image in my collection showing them in use.

Jerry

Last edited by JerryBB; 16-09-14 at 01:44 PM.
Old 16-09-14, 04:44 PM

Cool Faked plastic badges

In answer to the question of faked plastic badges there are very few as far as I know that have been faked, this is a bit of a surprise as certain plastic WWII badges seem to fetch very high prices. This is probably due to the fact that faked badges would be very easy to spot.

I have included a couple of pictures of what I think is a fake plastic Parachute Regt which was painted silver, this would have been one of the easier badges to fake as there is not too much detail. The blades are much thinner gauge brass than the originals and this is the easiest way to spot a fake apart from the general appearance. This may have been made for a re-enactor as there do not seem to be a plague of them turning up.

From conversations with WWII veterans these badges were not popular when issued, the metal ones being more popular and less fragile than some plastics, the Army Educational Corps springs to mind with it's rifle barrels and flags. They did not seem to be that popular with collectors back in the sixties as I remember, how times change . . !

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000780.jpg (75.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P1000781.jpg (71.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 16-09-14, 08:28 PM

Hello Jerry,
Exactly the sort of thing I had in mind, portraits are always interesting and normally, of course, unpublished.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
This one was posted on another forum by a member of his Dad in WWII which appears to be a plastic badge on a GS cap.
Old 16-09-14, 08:29 PM

Hello Ivan,
Many thanks, very clear in the first photo in particular.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
It is difficult to find photographs of WW2 economy badges being worn but this one to the York and Lancs shows both B/M and plastic badges being worn (see close up).

Ivan
Old 17-09-14, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Fake plastics were being produced by a bloke in the netherlands a few years ago for reenacting purposes. They were poor die casting with poor quality brass strips and were made for those dressing up as WW2 soldiers and not for badge collectors. He made Para regt, AAC, GS and RSIGNALS. Why the last 2 when originals are so cheap is beyond me.
Old 20-10-14, 09:42 AM

Default so this is one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Fake plastics were being produced by a bloke in the netherlands a few years ago for reenacting purposes. They were poor die casting with poor quality brass strips and were made for those dressing up as WW2 soldiers and not for badge collectors. He made Para regt, AAC, GS and RSIGNALS. Why the last 2 when originals are so cheap is beyond me.
So I guess this is one of the fake AAC plastic cap badges, or at least, it looks very strongly as such!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAC_Plastic_Badge_2.jpg (74.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg AAC_Plastic_Badge_3-back.jpg (94.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 20-10-14, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

I think that it is OK but that the plastic has degraded and warped. The copies were far worse that that and certainly did not have the maker's name on them.
Old 20-10-14, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I think that it is OK but that the plastic has degraded and warped. The copies were far worse that that and certainly did not have the maker's name on them.
Good news then... And I must admit that I have paid it peanuts, because of the overall conditions....