British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-07-17, 03:03 PM

Default Keeping track of badges owned

Good morning all,

I did a quick search on computer programs that members are using to keep track of their badge collection. Back in 2013 a Derrick helped me out with his program. I liked it and just sent him a message for an update to his program. I was wondering if there is anything else out there. I know some of you must have something. Spread sheets just seem so old school. I have lots! of badges that I have to get a record of, as I seem to keep buying the same ones over and over.

Chris
Old 04-07-17, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Chris, buying the same ones over and over.... is that a sign of older age?
Old 04-07-17, 05:24 PM

Most definitely the sign of old age.
I must just really like the look of the badge and just have to have it. Boxes and boxes of badges metal, cloth all intermixed. Today's and tomorrows project will be separating them in to categories. Pre WW1, CEF, Interim years, WW2/Post and Pre CAF and CAF for the Cap Badges and cloth by shoulder, trade, combat, and bullion. By that point my new camera lens should be in and let the photography begin (and creating file names by using the well known ref book numbers).
I will probably be seeking a lot of help once I get to that part.

Chris
Old 07-07-17, 10:59 PM

Hi Chris,
I use data base software - filemaker pro. Designed my collection template years ago when I could go to sleep. Also can pdf my records so can view and search on most devices when ever I need to confirm items in my collection.

Regards
Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Record image.jpg (53.3 KB, 73 views)
Old 07-07-17, 11:10 PM

thats suppose to read: when I could not go to sleep
Old 08-07-17, 12:52 AM

Looks like a good system. Derrick, has updated my old version of his program. I am playing with it now. I would still be interested in learning more about yours.

Chris
Old 11-07-17, 09:33 AM

Default Keeping track of badges owned

Hi Chris,
A few more pics of my data base layout - I have tried to cater for more extra's than I require - at some stage if I ever let go of my collection or if the kids decide not to keep the collection it is easy to check on what I have obtained etc. Main page has button links to things like: who I purchase from (supplier list - auto fills in main collection page), show info (auto look up from main data base for when I need to make display tags (saves typing out the data twice when I do public displays.
Collection page has: full details & basic details layout (basic shows no info on supplier etc for easy flicking through and remembering what I have). I can drop and drag pictures or just open in graphics program, then copy & paste. For a number of years now Mac OSX allows me to PDF all records into a file, that way I can upload to a mobile device and open the whole collection as a PDF doc and flick through or search badges etc when ever I am out and about.

Regards
Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front screen.jpg (98.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Main collection page.jpg (71.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Main collection basic.jpg (28.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-07-17, 06:06 PM

Hi Gary,
I like the sound of your database, you said you use "filemaker pro" can you copy the database to another mobile OSX device and use it on that device?
I just thought I would ask a few questions:

How much would it cost to get it up and running? and what do you charge for your collection template?
You must have spent some time entering some of the information so that it can be collected to be reused?
Is it easy to make a new template?

Derrick.
Old 11-07-17, 08:57 PM

Hi Derrick,
The template is now 15 years old. I am still running a now every old version of file maker on my computer used only for that purpose. Back in the day we used the software while running our own business. Saving up for the current version of file maker (basic version) that will set me back $449.00 AUD. I have not had a lot to do with the new version of file maker but it does state build apps for iPhone/ iPad, so maybe able to use the data base from these devices - would need to look into that a little more.

I would need to run my template on the new version of file maker to make sure all scripts work etc - to a fellow collector I would not charge for my template.
Creating a template from scratch - not hard, filmmaker is a power full program with functions that other data base programs don't have - with the info on the web and easy to access one can teach themselves.

Back when I first created the data base I had a lot of stuff to catalogue so hours & hours - now I catalogue as new items are added to my collection so up to 1/2 per week.

Regards
Gary
Old 12-07-17, 07:05 AM

Hi Gary,
Thanks for your reply, It sounds like a lot to learn to get it up and running, maybe I will try it one day!
My program will only output pictures with a small amount of data to the old Word 97, word updates made it a nightmare to keep up.
I did notice that after a few tweaks that it will make a table and add picture to KingSoft Writer 2016 (Free ver)
I did over 1400 front and back pictures to KingSoft Writer and it took the computer about 30mins to do the tables, but when it was adding the text and links to the index table took over 4 hours.
The saved file was over 1GB , Microsoft Word 97 would crash at over 512MB. I edited the document and then saved it as a pdf at about 131MB. Not bad.
It keep me out of trouble. all the best.
Derrick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WPS-Writer-01.jpg (66.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg WPS-Writer-02.jpg (69.4 KB, 11 views)