British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-04-13, 08:32 PM

Default RM Good conduct chevron usage?

Hi Guy's,
Can someone tell me when the RM's stopped putting 'Good conduct' chevrons on their tunics??
Cheers
Irv
Old 26-04-13, 07:37 AM

Irv

Good Conduct Badges are still mentioned in the March 2013 version of BR3 (Naval Personnel Management)

4018. Good Conduct Badges
a. V shaped stripes, 13mm wide, 127mm across top. Worn point upwards on the left arm with the inner angle of the lowest stripe 7mm above the point of the sleeve slash on the blue serge, white and stone tunics. When more than one badge is worn the distance between them is to be 5mm measured perpendicularly.
b. Good conduct badges are only to be worn by Marines, Musicians and Buglers and then only on the blue serge, white and stone tunics. They are not worn on the band ranks’ and buglers’ blue or white ceremonial tunics.

Paddy
Old 26-04-13, 08:15 AM

Thanks again Paddy

Got a strange one for you
Just picked up a blue tunic that I think is mid wars. It has the large RM's on the shoulders KC buttons. It has a red 'good conduct' chevron exactly as you described. I was told it was unmarked but when it arrived on the cloth pocket lining barely visible to the naked eye was stamped in white was 'ROCKETT RM7708'. Tried to find him but no luck???
Got any ideas on the the name? Also what age do you think it is?
Cheers
Irv

Last edited by Irv; 26-04-13 at 09:00 AM.
Old 26-04-13, 11:08 AM

Default Ebay lot.

Hi Irv.This lot was sold recently on ebay,do not know if you purchased as lot or not.

Royal Marines 40s-50s No1 Dress Uniform + Coat, 2x Caps, Belts, Extras in Kitbag

Royal Marines kitbag named to RM 7708 Marine Rockett of B Troop, HMT Trooper, RMB Plymouth, filled with kit dating from to late 1940s and early 1950s. Contents comprise:

* ORs quality No.1 Dress jacket with brass King's Crown RM buttons, good conduct chevron to left cuff., Naval General Service Medal ribbon to left breast, RM brass shoulder titles. Approx measurements: Chest 38 in/96 cm (remember it has to be a few inches bigger than your actual chest measurement), waist 34 in/86 cm, inside arm 20½ in/52 cm
* No.1 Dress trousers named to RM 7708 Marine Rockett. Approx measurements: Waist 32 in/81 cm, inside leg 30½ in/78 cm. Show age and storage, good
* No.1 Dress trousers, of finer texture and better made than to above, named to RM 7708 Marine Rockett and bearing 1951 inspection stamp to inside. Approx measurements: Waist 32 in/81 cm, inside leg 30½ in/78 cm. Minor moth to red stripes, good
* Great coat, RM KC brass buttons, RM brass shoulder titles, date of issue 1946. Faint user marke “7708” inside collar. Approx measurements: Chest 40 in/101 cm, waist 38 in/97 cm, inside arm 18 in/46 cm. Minor moth. Good.
* Khaki drill two-pocket tropical jacket with inspection stamp 29/8/1945 and named to L. Rockett. No buttons or badges. Size label: “Height 5/11, Chest 39, Collar 16½”
* White topped peaked cap, size 6 5/8, by Compton, Sons & Webb Ltd, dated 1952. Named to Marine Rockett LT. Brass buttons, no badge, minor moth & slight damage to front. Fair.
* Navy blue topped peaked cap, size 6¾, by L.Silberton & Sons Ltd, dated 1953. Named to Marine Rockett LT. Brass buttons, no badge, minor moth & chalk/blanco marks. Fair/good.
* Webbing belt, 1937 pattern, black, named to Rockett. Needs a clean. Good
* Webbing belt, 1937 pattern, blancoed white, named to Mne. Rockett. Good
* Webbing belt, seaman's type with penknife pouch. Indistinct user name (not Rockett). Good.
*Camouflage net for steel helmet with green/brown hessian scrim attached. Good.
* Khaki necktie labelled “Scotch Wool Tie”, good
*Wool leg warmers, x 3 pairs, minor damage, good.

HMT- Would be His Majesties Transport.
Old 26-04-13, 01:04 PM

Hi,
I just picked up the tunic. Didn't see the lot you've listed. Have you the ebay number? I wasn't sure of the date as I don't know when they stopped using the good conduct chevron. Any info of this marine?
Regards
Irv
Old 30-04-13, 05:52 PM

Default Link

Here is the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Mari...item51a76dea27
Old 30-04-13, 06:17 PM

Cheers. Must have missed that! Hard to believe I did.
In that case I'm still looking for a WW2 tunic
Anyone got a spare one??
Regards
Irv
Old 30-04-13, 06:45 PM

Anyone got an idea of the enlistment date of RM7708.

Regards
Irv
Old 30-04-13, 06:56 PM

Irv - If you google the Royal Marines Museum site I'm sure somewhere in their Research tab there should be the info that will help.

Ritchie
Old 30-04-13, 07:10 PM

Please what are the current qualification regulations for GC badges for RM?

For a long time they followed army qualification rules, not RN, which always seemed weird.
Old 30-04-13, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunray9 View Post
Irv - If you google the Royal Marines Museum site I'm sure somewhere in their Research tab there should be the info that will help.

Ritchie
Thanks Richie,
Found the link to how they worked out the service numbers. RM7708 has got to be 1948 or after.
Regards
Irv
Old 01-05-13, 01:10 PM

By contrast with the armfuls of badges that a soldier could gain the Royal Navy has always had a maximum of three. The current official RN web site says this: “Good Conduct Badges (worn on the left arm) were first authorised in 1849 for award after 5, 10 and 15 years satisfactory service. These periods were changed to 3, 8 and 13 years in 1861, and to 4, 8 and 12 years in 1946. Since 1956 the extra pay given for them is 4d per badge per day”.

A little supplementary information can be added: the Royal Navy scheme was introduced by an Order in Council on 15th January 1849, attached a penny per day for each of three badges, called Good Conduct Stripes, to be awarded to ratings of Leading Seaman and below for 5, 10 and 15 years of very good character and conduct. Boy service was not to count, and ‘sobriety, activity and attention’ were required at all times. In 1857 Petty Officers were allowed to benefit. The badges were in gold lace on the frock, blue for deck frocks, worn on the upper left arm, with point down. They appear to have been held in higher esteem in the navy than by the army if anecdotal evidence is accepted.
The Royal Marines appear to have always worn their badges army-style and for a long time under rules much as the army: King’s Regulations and Admiralty Instructions of 1913, for example, published very similar conditions except that the periods were 2, 6, 12, 18, 23 and 28 years with the customary possibility of acceleration by two years for the last three. In contrast to the army the 1d per badge was retained by the Royal Marines. I have a photo in my collection RMLI post 1902 Brodrick cap with 5 GCB.

The award of GCB to Royal Marines did not change until 1920 by Order in Council and this from their own [as army] system to the Royal Navy's. Back dated to Feb 1919 and putting up badge pay to 3d per badge for the first three, the next three badges not drawing pay but were honorary’.

BUT WHAT ABOUT NOW PLEASE?