British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-12-18, 08:00 PM

Default Plastic Economy Badges "Mounting"

Cannot recommend this White Plastic extruded Sheet Enough!! for Mounting badges! Here is the latest, spent this morning and afternoon marking out and cutting the slots out with a scalpel so not arduous nor expensive, and also light so doesn't add too much weight, it is also stable! doesn't crease and bend (well not yet!) am sure we have all tried other methods but am settled on this so much easier than all those efforts before!

Here are all the badges located into the slots doesn't look cramped and have some badges in Gold and Silver, some much larger than other and some like the Royal Sussex Rgt painted.

To anyone thinking of doing one shortly hope this helps, will post finished frame, all the best Billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181228_193621-1.jpg (88.1 KB, 243 views)

Last edited by billy; 29-12-18 at 09:18 AM.
Old 29-12-18, 01:32 PM
MarkGD

Billy, looks really good, look forward to seeing the final result. Where are you getting these sheets from? Regards Mark
Old 29-12-18, 02:50 PM

The board is called "Foam Board" and it can be sourced from many different places: eBay, Amazon - hobby shops. It comes in different thicknesses and sheet sizes, check here for an example.
Old 29-12-18, 03:01 PM
MarkGD

Wooffy many thanks, and thanks for the link, something i need to do with my badges, still all on cardboard at the mo! Regards Mark
Old 29-12-18, 03:11 PM

Hello Billy

Am very interested in how it all comes out as I intend to do this someday (When I actually finish a collection!)

One thing I am interested in is are you going to title each badge with their Regimental title? If you are, how do you intend doing this?

Many thanks

Ron
Old 29-12-18, 09:43 PM

Hi Ron am going to use K&K the badges are in the order from his book, so item and description will read from top right as a book if this makes sense will be held behind frame maybe, thing is we all know whatvthey are!

As to the board this can be sourced with VAT at £24 inc or thereabouts for an 8 ft x 4ft sheet they will cut it to your sizes and obtained from a signage merchant? I just know the bloke who does it round here from a friend!
Old 29-12-18, 10:24 PM

Hello Billy

Thanks for the reply. From what I can see, the board is the way to go for mounting badges. Your collection looks great.

Your way of matching the badges to the layout in K&K is an excellent idea so no titling needed at all. My problem is that I not only have several units wearing the same cap badge but also several multi badged units so have to find a way to differentiate them.

Still, have'nt finished the collection so still have time to think.

Hope you have a good New Year.

regards
Old 30-12-18, 12:52 AM

Billy,
Rather than Foam board are you using CORREX board of the type used by Estate Agents and others for weatherproof signs?

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (29.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 30-12-18, 01:14 AM

Yes thats the one porous, skin to top and bottom with ribbing in between, easy to cut through, if you make it too large a hole , slack taken up in the cloth!
Old 30-12-18, 04:42 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi Billy

That's a great looking display, well done.

Foam board or foam core as we know it down under is also used by picture framers and can be obtained from Archival supplies dealers as well.

Im intending to use this for my badges with a regiment per sheet with the regiments name and details printed out on word and cut and pasted to the foam core. Each sheet will go in a suspension file in a filing cabinet each sheet will be about 8 x 10 inches in size. This should accommodate most regiments, some might get a second sheet.

Regards

Phil.
Old 30-12-18, 11:11 AM

Lovely display, not something you see all that often these days, expensive too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Cannot recommend this White Plastic extruded Sheet Enough!! for Mounting badges! Here is the latest, spent this morning and afternoon marking out and cutting the slots out with a scalpel so not arduous nor expensive, and also light so doesn't add too much weight, it is also stable! doesn't crease and bend (well not yet!) am sure we have all tried other methods but am settled on this so much easier than all those efforts before!

Here are all the badges located into the slots doesn't look cramped and have some badges in Gold and Silver, some much larger than other and some like the Royal Sussex Rgt painted.

To anyone thinking of doing one shortly hope this helps, will post finished frame, all the best Billy
Old 31-12-18, 06:13 PM

Hi and Happy New Year All!

Making the frame - using Double sided tape put this 16 mm to rear off board all round, having precut the cloth and Ironed it fit to one of the long edges (this can be thoroughly secured along whole edge) pull the cloth tight and only nip the cloth to a few places (enough to hold) check cloth is free of creases - if this is the case this edge can be secured,, on the small edge pull the cloth taught and secure there shouldn't be any creases, finish off the last edge, trim the cloth to the rear.

"If cloth not taught creases form and you cannot get rid off them, happend on this one and stopped and had to be restarted"

I used a stiffener used in dress making - ideal for doing the badges especially these Plastic Economy as I didn't wish to touch the sliders, cut up strips of varying widths close to sizes to fit sugly through sliders (can be trimmed to suit) cut double sided tape and fit to ends 10mm wide, on some I had to put a strip of double sided tape to centre and cut up backing cloth and attach to this, When attached yo don't notice it when badge is fitted to board.

With a scalpel carefully cut the fabric and fit the fabric already threaded through sliders and pull this through the slit, centre it to slot and secure one edge to board then the other, you can move this around easily enough to centre following badges as the frame builds!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181231_125818-1.jpg (27.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20181231_125838-1.jpg (17.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20181231_132044-1.jpg (73.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20181231_132132-1.jpg (46.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20181231_132435-1.jpg (69.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20181231_125921-1.jpg (58.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 20181231_130015-1.jpg (78.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 20181231_130123-1.jpg (63.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20181231_130543-1.jpg (52.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 31-12-18, 06:28 PM
MarkGD

Billy, many thanks, that looks a proper job! just the sort of thing i need to do. Regards Mark
Old 31-12-18, 07:06 PM

Outstanding Billy.
Andy
Old 31-12-18, 07:14 PM

Billy looks like all those years of watching Blue Peter have paid off.
Danny