British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-01-19, 07:07 AM

Default LRDG Scorpion badge: Original?

My late Grandfather, Alec Booker, served in the LRDG from shortly after it’s inception until the culmination of the conflict. I’ve recently inherited what I’ve been given to understand was his original cap badge from my mother (his daughter).
I’ve heard it said there are many copies around (though why he might have been in possession of one of those is beyond me) so was wondering if it was even possible for anyone to authenticate it for me.
Thank you kindly in advance for any help you’re able to offer me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (34.0 KB, 326 views)
Old 04-01-19, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum your post is now open for comment.
Old 04-01-19, 11:32 AM

Hi
From what I can see at the front ,it appears correct wartime made.
Can we see a pic of the rear please
Cheers
Steve
Old 04-01-19, 11:35 AM

That is an original LRDG cap badge. It has a substantial monetary value these days and is a really nice thing to inherit.

Jack.
Old 04-01-19, 11:41 AM

A very nice example indeed.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 04-01-19, 05:30 PM

Agree with the opinions above, looks original to me. What a great memento to inherit from your grandfather, I’m glad you have it. Often we Forum members are rescuing bits of historic insignia that have long since lost the connection to their original owners and their families.

If you don’t already have them, there are several excellent books on the LRDG that would provide you and your family more context on your grandfather’s service. Let us know if that would interest you, and the Forum members will be happy to recommend a few.

Best wishes,
Donovan

P.S. I note that A. Booker of London is listed among the initial members in 1945 of the LRDG Association, in Appendix III on page 189 of Mike Morgan’s book “Sting of the Scorpion: The Inside Story of the Long Range Desert Group” — a fine compilation of stories submitted by LRDG veterans to their association newsletter over the years.

Last edited by castagain; 04-01-19 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Added details
Old 04-01-19, 07:41 PM

A nice original badge. You should mount that in a frame with a war-time picture of your grandfather (if one is available) and display it proudly in your home.
Old 05-01-19, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpeterwilliam View Post
My late Grandfather, Alec Booker, served in the LRDG from shortly after it’s inception until the culmination of the conflict. I’ve recently inherited what I’ve been given to understand was his original cap badge from my mother (his daughter).
I’ve heard it said there are many copies around (though why he might have been in possession of one of those is beyond me) so was wondering if it was even possible for anyone to authenticate it for me.
Thank you kindly in advance for any help you’re able to offer me.
A fine original headdress badge.

Keith
Old 05-01-19, 11:04 PM

Any chance of a photo of the back?
Old 06-01-19, 02:21 AM

I've never had much interest in these badges mainly as there are so many fakes, however this is a beautiful example and looking at this genuine item you can see the quality of the badge
thanks for showing and sharing its history
bc
Old 23-01-19, 10:53 AM

Thank you all very much for your input and apologies for the time lag in responding. I’ll attempt to include a photo of the back of badge presently - doing battle with rather old phone here.
I’m very pleased that it would appear to be the genuine article, or rather that the forum didn’t rise, as one, to denounce it as clearly the product of a shop class project by a student who always failed to apply themselves.
For those interested, I’ll give a précis of what I know regarding it’s history.
I know very little detailed information about my Grandfather’s service - he died when I was one (having, understandably, revealed precious little) and the full service records won’t be released until, I’m told, next year.
We know he joined the LRDG from the London Scottish at the age of 26 in 1941, fought in North Africa and Dodecanese, captured during the fall of Leros and interred in a Stalagluft until liberated by the Russians in 45’.
Intimate post-war communications with old comrades and a set of tiny photos of him disguising himself as a “local peasant” allude to some sort of action in Italy that I’ve not been able to substantiate with official LRDG histories.
Well, thanks very much again.
All the best
Old 24-01-19, 03:03 AM

Please do come back and post information and pictures when you find out more. I know I am greatly interested in seeing that information, so I am sure a couple other members are as well.