British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-01-19, 12:31 PM

Default Buttons to ID

Hi all,

I came across with these 4 buttons here. What are they and are they worth anything?

1. Artillery but no crown??

2. 2nd Foot?

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 20-01-19, 02:28 PM

1&2. French Buttons
3. Is a hunt button rather than blazer to The Worcestershire regiment.
4. Livery or company
Old 23-01-19, 05:46 PM

I would say 1 & 2 are Belgian

GTB
Old 26-01-19, 03:03 PM

The Worcestershire Regiment item is a Livery Button from an officers' mess servant's tailcoat. These were generally worn by the mess staff for Regimental Guest Night's when the most formal presentation was laid on.
Old 26-01-19, 03:35 PM

Hello Toby

Sorry to disagree but I do not think the Worcestershire button is a mess waiters button.

Mess waiters buttons were usually very good quality, gilt or silver plated buttons. The Worcestershire Regiment used several different designs of mess waiters button depending upon the battalion but never, as far as I am aware, the exact design shown here.

The one shown in the photo appears to be a flat engraved button, either a hunt button as suggested or possibly a blazer button.

Roger
Old 26-01-19, 04:44 PM

Hi All,

I think it is either an Officer's Mess Dress button or possibly a Blazer button.

In Roger Bennett's book "Badges of the Worcestershire Regiment", under the section on buttons (page 104) - he states the following:

"A pattern mess dress button was sealed at the same time [1923], but appears to have been a regularisation of an existing custom, as the design is of the previous type [with Circular Garter], though examples are known with the oval Garter.

548 . Worcestershire Regiment, Officers' mess dress. Flat gilt, engraved with an elongated star bearing a circular Garter. Below the Garter a label inscribed 'FIRM'. 1923-1970.
"

Cheers

Ian
Old 26-01-19, 07:17 PM

Thank you both, I agree that it is most likely a Mess dress button (usually for the vest), and that livery buttons are generally more elaborate and of special design.
Old 27-01-19, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4966Ian View Post
Hi All,

I think it is either an Officer's Mess Dress button or possibly a Blazer button.

In Roger Bennett's book "Badges of the Worcestershire Regiment", under the section on buttons (page 104) - he states the following:

"A pattern mess dress button was sealed at the same time [1923], but appears to have been a regularisation of an existing custom, as the design is of the previous type [with Circular Garter], though examples are known with the oval Garter.

548 . Worcestershire Regiment, Officers' mess dress. Flat gilt, engraved with an elongated star bearing a circular Garter. Below the Garter a label inscribed 'FIRM'. 1923-1970.
"

Cheers

Ian
The back mark with POW feathers was used up to 1924 so it falls into that date range. The same design is used on the hunt buttons. I think theres a Pitt example illustrated in Gwen Squires book- Buttons a guide for collectors in the military hunt buttons section.
The diameter may help to identify if its for pre 1924 mess dress usually between 14-18mm I don't have any larger sizes in my collection that are pre 1924. For the hunt coat diameter is generally 22-25mm.
I stay clear of blazer buttons but again I don't think it can be excluded.

Last edited by Rockfish; 27-01-19 at 09:21 AM. Reason: significant date added