British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-08-18, 08:27 PM

Default Lieutenant G.P. Comper CANLOAN officer.

Lieutenant G.P. Comper (left), a paratroop officer who fought at Arnhem, talking with Major-General E.G. Weeks at the first annual reunion of CANLOAN officers, Royal Empire Society, London, England, 14 April 1945.
Mikan:3378945

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 09-08-18, 09:38 PM

George W. Comper, OC 18 Platoon, C Company, 1st Battalion The Border Regiment at Arnhem, where he was wounded and ended the War as a prisoner of war.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 09-08-18, 09:49 PM

Glider-borne rather than Paratroop I believe.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 09-08-18, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Lieutenant G.P. Comper (left), a paratroop officer who fought at Arnhem, talking with Major-General E.G. Weeks at the first annual reunion of CANLOAN officers, Royal Empire Society, London, England, 14 April 1945.
Jo, another great photo. Thanks for posting.

I notice Lieutenant Comper is wearing British BD with a CANADA badge. I'm wondering if the background colour of the CANADA badge is in the British BD colour or the greener Canadian hue. I also noted the ribbon at the base of the epaulette.

I can't understand why there would be a CANLOAN reunion before the war ended, but I guess they had their reasons.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 09-08-18, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M View Post
I also noted the ribbon at the base of the epaulette.
The Border Regiment, part of the 1st Airlanding Brigade, so yes, glider-borne, wore coloured epaulette tabs as follows:
HQ Comp – yellow
A Comp – green
B Comp – white, then (pre Arnhem) purple (to avoid being confused with officer cadet shoulder strip designations)
C Comp – red
D Comp – pale blue
S Comp – dark blue
T, (Training) later R Comp - black
Thus his would have been red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M View Post
I can't understand why there would be a CANLOAN reunion before the war ended, but I guess they had their reasons.
According to my info he was POW until April '45, so either he was liberated or escaped before the end of the war, and shortly thereafter was at this meeting or either the date when the photo was taken is off or my POW info is wrong.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 09-08-18, 10:53 PM

Jo, another great photo. Thanks for posting.

Thank you very much.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 09-08-18, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
The Border Regiment, part of the 1st Airlanding Brigade, so yes, glider-borne, wore coloured epaulette tabs as follows:
HQ Comp – yellow
A Comp – green
B Comp – white, then (pre Arnhem) purple (to avoid being confused with officer cadet shoulder strip designations)
C Comp – red
D Comp – pale blue
S Comp – dark blue
T, (Training) later R Comp - black
Thus his would have been red.

According to my info he was POW until April '45, so either he was liberated or escaped before the end of the war, and shortly thereafter was at this meeting or either the date when the photo was taken is off or my POW info is wrong.

Rgds, Thomas
Thanks Thomas for the great info.My guess is that he was a freshly liberated PoW and, being an officer he was sent to London on a priority list.

First annual reunion of CANLOAN officers, Royal Empire Society, London, England, 14 April 1945.
Mikan:3378942

Jo

Old 10-08-18, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Dan, from what I can see in the image, the Canada title is a Canadian made pattern.
Old 11-08-18, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Dan, from what I can see in the image, the Canada title is a Canadian made pattern.
Thanks, Bill. Must have stood out quite distinctly on British BD.

Cheers,
Dan.