British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-01-19, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default Royal Irish Fusiliers collar or cap coronet?

I have been offered this Royal Irish Fusiliers collar or cap coronet badge but am not sure which it is.

Any thoughts on what this coronet is for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rif coronet2.jpg (42.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg rif coronet.jpg (58.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 10-01-19, 04:14 PM

Hi Alan,
My guess it's part of the collar pair.
Compare with these attached.
Regards,
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIF group.jpg (57.6 KB, 61 views)
Old 10-01-19, 05:06 PM

Similar recent enquiry with dimensions.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ighlight=IRISH

Tim
Old 12-01-19, 03:19 AM

A quick response as I am pressed for time. In my view the smaller coronet is essentially the same size for the forage cap and collar badges for service dress and # 3 dress, differences of 1mm or so being just die differences.

The larger coronet being for full dress, # 1 dress and mess dress collar badges (i.e. the horizontal collar badges).

My view is based on several bits of research including the attached officer's pattern cards which I photographed at the RIF Museum last August.

A few caveats,
1) Assumes O/Rs followed similar regs. to officers in this regard (I think they did)
2) Brodrick Cap; question of coronets still needs more research in my view.
3) Expect that from time to time larger full dress collar coronets were pressed into use with forage cap badges on a local/individual bases (I think I can pull out some photos to show this).
4) Although I believe that the same size coronets are for use on forage cap and the collars (less full, # 1 & mess dress) the fitments will of course differ based on when the parts were manufactured and what the contract was for with collar badge coronets made after LC4483 of 01/03/1951 having the single"D' loop fastening rather than the two your post shows.
5) The larger coronet from the full dress collar badge pair was worn on The Field Service Cap (FSC) 1893 – 1897. The smaller coronet coming into use with SPN 4475 sealed Jan 12, 1897.

also attached a few pattern cards (plastic forage cap badge) A/A #1 dress which support this assertion.

If I find anything more compelling I will add. Happy to be corrected & educated otherwise.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal Irish Fusiliers Plastic Cap badge pattern card 12926.jpg (33.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg c coy 5 Irish rangers collar badges - rif.JPG (37.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1577.jpg (55.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1576.jpg (52.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1575.jpg (53.5 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 12-01-19 at 04:18 AM. Reason: added 4 & 5 to list of caveats and removed statement about interchangeability from first sentence
Old 12-01-19, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

John

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply. It is much appreciated. In this case I am after a badge to represent the large collar used for the FSC so I will rule this one out and look for the larger pierced one.

Thank you again for your time and assistance.

Alan
Old 10-02-19, 11:55 AM

Were the small size coronets (or very similar) worn by one of the women's military organisations at one time?
I can't think which one.