British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-05-19, 06:17 AM

Default Canadian Armed Forces - RCAF

I have a small collection of RCAF hat badges and have recently acquired a gold lurex type thread on dark green felt hat badge which I'm told was worn by females (tri service, up to officer rank I'm guessing).

I also have a RCAF officers beret badge, almost identical to the badge worn now, but on a similar dark green background.

Can someone please tell me - Am I correct in thinking that air force officers, during the period of unification, wore the crown/eagle/wreath on a dark green background on all headgear?

I'm also looking for a pair of collar badges for the air force, as worn with the metal Canadian Armed Forces hat badge - If anybody has a spare pair.
Many thanks, Craig
Old 21-05-19, 06:19 AM

No Canadian 'experts' out there?
Do you need a photo?
Frame.jpgUnified&Collar.jpg Officers Beret.jpgFemale.jpg
First time I've attached images so apologies for the size/quality etc.
Hopefully they'll enlarge when clicked on.
First image is the whole frame, second shows the type of collar badge I'm looking for. Then is the 2 beret badges side by side - the left one has a dark green backing, the other black. The last image I was told was worn by females.
Any help appreciated. Craig

Last edited by cga00; 22-05-19 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Add photos
Old 21-05-19, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Photos would help.
To answer one question, there was a transition period, where the RCAF officer's cap badge, (crown eagle wreath) was worn. They were replaced by the enamel CAF badge.
Old 22-05-19, 05:16 PM

Hi Bill, thanks, I've attempted to put some images on now.
Do you see what I mean with the officers badges?
Old 22-05-19, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Craig, the board is a nice accumulation of RCAF and CAF badges. The ones you are asking about are badges worn in the 1960's before unification, and in the transitional period in the 70's. I have had Canadian Forces wedge caps with those same badges, which the fellow later had other wedges with the CAF cap badge. The officers later acquired the bullion / mylar wire examples. The gold on dark green badge is women's example in my understanding.
Old 23-05-19, 01:21 PM

Thanks Bill.
As I understand it the air force existed as RCAF from 1924 until unification (CAF) in 1968, and again as the RCAF from 2011 to the present.
So, to clarify in my mind, the two smaller officers badges are worn on wedge caps from about the 60's - the green one being transitional, prior to them wearing the CAF badge up to 2011 and then the enamel type RCAF badge. Right?
Are you able to date the 2 larger officers badges at the centre of the frame for me?
Old 23-05-19, 05:56 PM

The wire embroidered badge is an officer's private purchase badge. Used from about 1974 to current. The cloth badge was introduced about 1985 and is used by NCMs on the wedge or beret. The green backed badges are typical of the CF era, up to c1985, when they switched from green to blue dress uniforms. The enamel badges lower right were introduced about 1974, and could be worn by both officers and NCMs (ORs) although it was frowned upon for officers to wear anything but the wire embroidered badge. The collar badges are for the green CF uniform. The small "air force" collar badge is rare, only 400 sets of the 4 types (army, navy, air force and tri-service) were produced. The cloth tri-service badge is most commonly seen on the women's bowler, but was in fact worn by men as well.
Old 25-05-19, 04:10 PM

That is great. Many thanks for taking the time to look and help me out.
Kind regards to both, Craig