British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-02-10, 01:26 PM

Default Stumped by Scottish (?) yeomanry (?) badge

Folks,

I’ve been asked by a family friend if I can identify the regiment of a soldier in some WW1 photos of a relative – and I’ve had to admit defeat. So I would be very grateful if anybody could identify the badge, worn as both a collar dog and a cap badge, in the attached.

Clues?

- The guy was Scottish (from the Edinburgh region)

- The guard mounting photo is a postcard, dated Sep 15 and sent from Cupar in Fife.

- There are other men, not in the crop I’ve attached, also wearing the TF ‘Imperial Service’ badge.

- The family say the guy later served in the Scots Greys – although I can’t find a medal card for him, the family has a (poor-ish quality) photograph taken in France of a section on grey horses all wearing a cap badge that could well be Scots Greys.

So I’m thinking yeomanry in 1915 in Fife – Lowland Mounted Brigade? But none of the reference books I can lay my hands on show a badge resembling this for any constituent of the LMB, or any other Scottish yeomanry regiment, or indeed anything that looks right.

Over to the experts, with thanks in advance – and an awful feeling the answer is really obvious ….

C_C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gp1 small.JPG (50.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg gp2 small.JPG (73.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 01-02-10, 01:45 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Isn't that the Queens Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry??

Last edited by Alan O; 01-02-10 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-02-10, 02:41 PM

100%. KK1468 or 1469
Old 01-02-10, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

The first picture is very interesting as it is pre 1940 but there is no mention in any book that I have read of the collar badge being used as a cap badge before WW2 and the move to Berets.

Alan
Old 03-02-10, 11:34 AM

Default Thanks

Folks,

thanks very much inded. There actually is a medal card for the right name in the QO Royal Glasgow Yeomanry.

Everyhting I had seen for QO Royal Glasgow Yeomanry showed a cap badge of oak(?) leaves summounted by the lion/crown. But this is the collar badge, used as a cap badge, right?

If anybody would like a decent .jpg of the guard mounting showing the badge in use as a cap badge, please let me know.

Again, thanks

C_C