British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-12-14, 10:39 AM
LYPAO Boff

Here, attached, is the Firmin version of the 1968 approved AA waist belt motto and the Other Ranks beret/cap Motto..... the first AA production from Firmin. Firmin did not make a chrome waist belt motto after this first AA attempt [1]. It was not long after these were approved when they bought out Smith & Wright Ltd/Dowler and then just concentrated on the Cap Motto production, acquiring the SWLtd Motto gave them the ability to produce their own and a copy of the SWLtd as the alternative.

There is only "one" genuine SWLtd AA that is marked "FIRMIN LONDON" and I think that came from Dowler..... everything from Firmin after that is their copy. I think there may have been some issue with the rights to its use....as the next time we see the SWLtd Motto "proper"..... is from Shaw Munster (post 2000), a company that retained some directors of SWLtd & Dowler I believe.

[1] I suspect that Gaunts ability to chrome plate, at the time, gave Gaunt the advantage in production? To date I have not seen a chrome example Motto from Firmin? Gaunt does appear to have the lions share of the business during the 1970s & 80s (from the physical evidence)? Gaunt providing a new Officers die and a very good AA made from it obviously gained preference in the Regiment.

SO.... in light of the approval date of 1968 (Gaunt & Firmin).... flash to bang time on "completed" production and into Regimental Stores would be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WaistBeltCap1972.jpg (75.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 1973GauntProd1968.jpg (74.5 KB, 17 views)

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 19-12-14 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-01-15, 08:43 AM

Default Anodised mottos

Dave Alexander is rigt about anodised mottos being chucked. I was commissioned into the Regt in the late 80's and in my time there, the only soldiers who briefly wore anodised mottos were those who had just arrived from the Trg Regt and had worn them there. As soon as they arrived in Munster/Tidworth they were taken pronto to the Regt PRI to buy white metal and blackened metal versions for daily wear and exercise. They only kept the anodised ones to use as swaps whenever we met other units who always wanted them!