British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-01-12, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Default KOSB SPORRAN PURSE BADGE - NOT BERET

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Ar...item519cd04a82

Following on from a thread last year , this is a very good example of the KOSB sporran badge which has been wrongly described as a beret badge.
I have spoken to regtl officer with a long service and they are certain that the KOSB, nor attached arms have ever worn this as a beret badge.

Alan
Old 12-01-12, 04:24 PM

Hi Alan,

I have one of these badges in my collection and it was definately worn by a female friend of mine when we were both in the KOSB ACF in the 80s. It was indeed worn on a dark blue beret. She gave it to me in the mid 80s when she left the ACF detachment. Doubt if it was ever worn by the regulars though.

Regards

Bill
Old 12-01-12, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Bill,

Interesting. Very unofficial even for cadets! I used to know a Wfr who wore his half size collar badge in his beret painted black. Totally aginst dress regulations of course and still a collar. In this case it is still a sporran badge and the NSN would list it as such no matter where you decided to wear it.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 13-01-12 at 09:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-12, 11:06 PM

Default KOSB Sporran Badge

Here are some examples of samples and sealed patterns of the KOSB sporran badge. All previously posted on the Forum I believe

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KOSB Sealed Pattern.jpg (46.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg KOSB Sporran 1.jpg (42.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg KOSB Sporran 2.jpg (51.2 KB, 68 views)
Old 13-01-12, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Here are some examples of samples and sealed patterns of the KOSB sporran badge. All previously posted on the Forum I believe

Tim
Yep,

The two on the left are from the Imperial War Museum and the pattern card on the right from the KOSB museum in Berwick-upon-tweed. I have personally handled both these cards.

Reagrds

Chris
Old 13-01-12, 05:11 AM

I'm almost certain that KOSB soldiers wore the sporran badge on the TOS during the Northern Ireland campaign. This would have been late 1970s or possibly early 1980s but, as I seemed to spend half my life there during those days, am unsure of dates and places.
Old 13-01-12, 09:18 AM

Hi Alan,

At the time, all the females in our platoon wore them on a beret before going back to the glengarry.

Bill
Old 31-01-12, 03:54 PM

Nothing to do with anodised badges I know but the wearing of the KOSB badge in a beret is a subject that I found interesting.

I have just come across a review of a book called "Off at Last" in a regimental journal.

It is described as "An illustrated History of the 7th (Galloway) Bn,Kings Own Scottish Borderers 1939-45 ".

What is most interesting is that the front cover shows 3 items of head gear,a Tam. a Glengarry and a Beret all complete with KOSB cap badges.

I can only presume there is a good reason for the beret appearing with the other items of head dress on the cover of the is book.

Does any one have a copy ?

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3448.jpg (50.6 KB, 30 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 31-01-12 at 04:11 PM.
Old 31-01-12, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

If it is maroon then it might be an option. There is a Cameron in a bridge too far wearing a full sized badge on his airborne beret,
Old 31-01-12, 05:41 PM

Alan,

I think you are right, the cover of the book was not in colour in the magazine I saw the review in but attached is a colour picture of the cover.

The beret actually looks red in the picture but I am pretty sure it would actually be maroon.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KOSB.jpg (64.4 KB, 30 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 31-01-12, 08:55 PM

7th Bn were converted to Airlanding and as such wore the maroon beret, but without tartan backing behind the normal glengarry badge.

Rgds,

Thomas.
Old 31-01-12, 08:59 PM

Thanks Thomas.
P.B.

Old 01-02-12, 10:09 AM

I have also seen someone wearing an Army Air Corps blue beret with a KOSB badge and tartan flash but can't remember where I saw it. Could have been at Middle Wallop when I was there visiting a number of years ago

Bill