British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-04-20, 07:48 AM

Default Thomas Fattorini

I know that they made military (mostly vols) badges in the 1st WW period.
But I have TF marked badges of much later - 1920s and 1950s. I know they are still in business and make mostly non military badges.Does anyone know how TF were making military badgesThere is no mention of military badges on their website - as they are running a skeleton organisation, I won't bother them for now!

thanks

Last edited by KLR; 30-04-20 at 07:54 AM.
Old 30-04-20, 09:48 AM

I have never seen a genuine Fattotini marked slider on a genuine army cap badge. Can you post a picture of these TF badges please?
Old 30-04-20, 10:18 AM

Fattorini were one of many makers of General Service buttons probably during the first war, not common, so far I have only found one in large size.

Rob

Old 30-04-20, 01:34 PM

My suspicions were right.
The only genuine one I have is a Liverpool Volunteer Guard (and there is contemporary documentary evidence too). I understand that they made lots of VTCs.

I have a King's 1926 Pattern marked TF but I kept it for an example. Yesterday I saw a King's 1950 WM badge (ie the WO badge) with the same TF mark - but clearly wrong.

Ah sorry Luke you assumed TF = Territorial Force but I meant = Thomas Fattorini !

Last edited by KLR; 30-04-20 at 02:02 PM.
Old 30-04-20, 07:40 PM

I have two OTC badges with Fattorini makers marks. Whitgift and Mount St Mary's College.

I'm pretty confident about the Whitgift badge; Mount St Mary's not so much. I had assumed on the strength of the Whitgift badge that TF did manufacture some OTC badges. I can dig them out tomorrow and photo the marks if it helps.
Mark
Old 01-05-20, 06:20 PM

Whitgift School Croydon OTC with Fattorini mark on back of badge. Hard to shoot as beneath slider. I'm as sure as anyone can be that this one is absolutely correct.
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9631.jpg (33.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9632.jpg (43.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 01-05-20, 06:24 PM

Mount St Mary's College, Spinkhill. Not sure about this mark, but badge appears correct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9633.jpg (46.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9634.jpg (52.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 04-05-20, 03:38 PM

Default VTC Fattorini Badges

My contribution, based on VTC badges.

As a rule of thumb, the majority of VTC badges were manufactured in 1914/15/16, but there was probably a spill over into 1917, too, and maybe even 1918. Certainly none later that that!

As is well known, Thomas Fattorini was a major supplier to the VTC, both uniform cap badges (and collars, and titles) and Mufti badges. I know of at least 25 Fattorini VTC head-dress badges, so there are probably quite a few more. Of the 13 slidered examples that I have, there are three distinct makers marks:

1. THOMAS FATTORINI over BOLTON, approximately 17-18mm long, with the B of Bolton starting 1/3 of the way through the M of Thomas, and finishing directly below the start of the O in Fattorini. I have 8 of these type.

2. THOMAS FATTORINI over BOLTON, approximately 17-18mm long, with the B of Bolton starting directly under the A of Thomas, and finishing 2/3 of the way through the O in Fattorini. I have 5 of these type.

3. THOMAS FATTORINI over BOLTON, approximately 11mm long, with the B of Bolton starting 2/3 of the way through the M of Thomas, and finishing directly below the start of the O in Fattorini. I only have 1 of these.

I also have a "fake" Fattorini marked slider, on a copy badge. Here the stamp is 22mm long, so a less compact font, and Bolton starts under the A but finishes at the mod-point of the second T in Fattorini.

The majority do not have crimped sliders, but some do...

The other 10+ TF badges I have can be identified though their flat lugs, which I have only ever seen on Fattoring badges (these are quite distinct from the flat hex lugs often seen on titles).

On the basis of my examples, Dubaiguy, your St Marys is therefore fine. As, obviously, is the Whitgift one. There are other OTC badges around, too; Merchant Taylors is one that comes to mind.

Thanks, all. Stay safe! Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1602R Carnarvon.jpg (20.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 1609R Derbyshire.jpg (21.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 1634R SW Lamcs.jpg (23.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 1635R Liverpool.jpg (27.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 1666R Middlesex.jpg (22.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1672R Notts.jpg (29.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1673R Oxford.jpg (28.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1676R Shropshire.jpg (29.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 1677R Somerset.jpg (33.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 1690R Leeds.jpg (32.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Bethnal Green R.jpg (30.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Shropshire Cadets R.jpg (30.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Whitley R.jpg (28.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 1605R Cheshire COPY.jpg (15.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-05-20, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the positive confirmation on the OTC badges Tim. An excellent and informative post. It would be very useful if the Mods put your photos and descriptions in the Fattorini section of the 'makers mark' page.
Thanks
Mark