British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-07-19, 02:27 PM
MarkGD

Default Royal Canadian Regiment Cap Badge

Ladies, Gents, Apache Attack Helicopters

I now have a couple of badges in my collection that feature 'screw posts' soldered to the rear of the cap badge. Would be grateful if someone could confirm this is for the service cap?

Regards Mark
Old 24-07-19, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mark, screw posts were usually the fastener for officers' badges. However if it appears that the screw posts were replacing lugs, they may have been for some other purpose.
Old 25-07-19, 09:17 AM
MarkGD

Bill, many thanks, on one it is the only attachment, the other is replacing lugs which have been cut off. Appreciate the response. Regards Mark
Old 25-07-19, 11:09 AM

Mark, if you can provide photos I may be able to give a more definitive answer. Depending on the era of the badge it may be a quick fix for the Wolseley helmet, could be a modified badge to be used as a Piper's badge and affixed to the garter which they wear as a background to the badge, or it could potentially be a musician's pouch badge.
Old 25-07-19, 09:05 PM
MarkGD

Young Law, many thanks, any views/comments appreciated, Regards Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080351.jpg (26.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg P1080352.jpg (29.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg P1080353.jpg (22.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 26-07-19, 01:36 AM

Interesting post. I have a bit of information on the subject that may or may not be of interest.

When mentioning the service cap, I wasn't sure if you were talking about the Army versions (khaki or blue crown with a red band), the CF green version or the DEU one. I know about the CF service cap. The RCR badge was affixed to sit in front of the band and not on the crown. A badge with a slider, whether Officer or OR, was permanently attached with a small metal clip between the band and the cap. A screw post would not have been possible without poking a hole through the band and the cap, which would have been considered damaging property.

In one of my later careers, as a police officer, our screw post cap badges were placed at the front of the crown rather than in front of the band. There was a hole in the crown for a screw post.

So, to answer the question about service caps, since the RCR badge sat in front of the band and not on the crown, I would opine that screw post badges were not designed for use on them.

A screw post badge on a cap's crown would not touch the wearer's head. A screw post at the level of a cap's band would leave a permanent round mark on the poor wearer's noggin.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 26-07-19, 07:33 AM
MarkGD

Dan, many thanks and most illuminating, i did have a thought that they could be for the helmet as Young Law mentioned, but have seen similar badges with 'pins' to slide behind the pugeree? I'll have a dig out of a couple of books, see if i can see band badges or similar. Regards Mark

Last edited by MarkGD; 26-07-19 at 09:22 AM.
Old 28-07-19, 10:56 PM

The 1894 pattern badge (left on the first picture) was likely modified much later on, as far as it's purpose I can't fathom an idea. Puggaree badges of that era typically had lugs or a broche pin to minimze the damage to the puggaree. The 1980's badge (on the right of the first picture) was likely not a Wolseley helmet badge either as the post seems too short, it could be a modified badge for the Piper's badge. The "nut' is nice and something I haven't seen before, though!
Old 30-07-19, 04:06 PM
MarkGD

Young Law, many thanks, comments interesting and appreciated. What does interest me on the later badge is the height of the centre which is a little lower than the normal badge? I have this one which i believe was for the pugaree, i would surmise that it was modified by the wearer. pins again cut. Regards Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080354.jpg (26.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg P1080355.jpg (27.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 31-07-19, 05:17 PM

That is quite likely a local fix for a pug badge; very neat!

The 1980/90's badges often are off center due to poor manufacturing. During this time there was a fair bit of dialogue between the Regiment and Ottawa about improving the badge design and finish.
Old 31-07-19, 08:35 PM

My experience, having served as a Royal for a short period in the 80's is that badges with single screw posts were worn on the Wolsley Helmet. The helmet was worn with #1 dress with scarlet tunic. I believe that order of dress with helmet has been worn for quite some time.
Old 01-08-19, 08:57 AM
MarkGD

YL & BC, Many thanks for the comments, much appreciated. Regards Mark

Tags
rcr, royal canadian regiment