British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-06-23, 07:48 PM

Default Civil Nuclear Constabulary

For those interested in such things, I thought I'd post three different helmet plates from the Civil Nuclear Constabulary. Does anybody know the time line for their use, please?

Thanks,

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user4624_pic129458_1462814167.jpg (82.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20221109-IMG_2301-1500x1500.jpg (72.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230622_235446_eBay.jpg (97.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 24-06-23, 06:00 AM

Phil, I think they are current following on from UKAEA CONSTABULARY but NO timeline, sorry and no doubt will change crown in the near future so more to collect
Jerry
engr9266

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 24-06-23, 06:09 AM

CNC established in 2005.

I only know that because I looked it up when I got these Poppy pins .

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 24-06-23, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
three different helmet plates from the Civil Nuclear Constabulary.
Did/do they have a specific badge for their warrant cards ?

https://british-police-history.uk/f/civil-nuclear

Old 24-06-23, 08:19 AM

Quote:
For those interested in such things, I thought I'd post three different helmet plates from the Civil Nuclear Constabulary. Does anybody know the time line for their use, please?

Thanks,

Phil
I understand that the screenshot version was never worn/issued. They were made by a firm called "Intramark", who were hoping to secure a bulk contract. However, the cost was apparently too high. They did get a contract for cap badges and collar dogs but not for helmet plates.

The two pictured helmet plates, which are from the same die but slightly different finishes, were made by "Firmin" and were issued. The version without the coloured jewels in the crown is probably a factory reject. They stopped issuing/wearing helmets quite a few years ago now. Recruits get a peaked cap (which is seldom worn). Their everyday wear is a baseball cap and the usual "dressed down" kit that firearms officers wear.

There have been at least three slightly different cap badges produced by different makers and probably the same for the warrant badge.

For an organisation that is supposed to be at the forefront of security in terms of their actual job, control of their insignia is nothing short of awful. Having said that, the MoD Police are probably not far behind in that respect.

Dave.
Old 24-06-23, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
I understand that the screenshot version was never worn/issued. They were made by a firm called "Intramark", who were hoping to secure a bulk contract. However, the cost was apparently too high. They did get a contract for cap badges and collar dogs but not for helmet plates.

The two pictured helmet plates, which are from the same die but slightly different finishes, were made by "Firmin" and were issued. The version without the coloured jewels in the crown is probably a factory reject. They stopped issuing/wearing helmets quite a few years ago now. Recruits get a peaked cap (which is seldom worn). Their everyday wear is a baseball cap and the usual "dressed down" kit that firearms officers wear.

There have been at least three slightly different cap badges produced by different makers and probably the same for the warrant badge.

For an organisation that is supposed to be at the forefront of security in terms of their actual job, control of their insignia is nothing short of awful. Having said that, the MoD Police are probably not far behind in that respect.

Dave.
One seller on eBay has sold 6 "helmet plates" in the past month with prices ranging from £26.00 - £119.97 !

Have also seen an "Intramark Limited" lugged cap badge and a "Firmin" slidered cap badge.

Old 24-06-23, 06:06 PM

Thank you all, gentlemen.

There are a lot of the non enamel crown examples around, there are some sites that say they are a first pattern.
Old 25-06-23, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Thank you all, gentlemen.

There are a lot of the non enamel crown examples around, there are some sites that say they are a first pattern.
In 2022, I visited a dealer who had a dozen or more of the non-enamelled crown helmet plates. He told me that he had obtained them from Firmin's and that they were "unfinished". Firmin had held them in stock for quite some years but decided to dispose of them due to the fact that the CNC had told them that they would not be re-ordering helmet plates due to a policy decision being made to cease wearing helmets as an item of headgear. The first pattern was the Firmin version complete with red cushioning to the crown and colouring to the jewels. That information came from Insp. Ian Adams (CNC Force Clothing Officer) in 2007.

Dave.

Last edited by altcar73; 25-06-23 at 07:16 AM.
Old 25-06-23, 11:52 AM

Thank you, Dave, much appreciated.