British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-08-19, 04:42 AM
Banned

Default Researching a WW1 MGC Sergeant

Hi
Would anyone be able to tell me the logical path of research that is taken? Where do you start and where does it end?
I need to research a WW1 MGC Sergeant, a Lionel Yarlett but that’s all I know
thank you for your help

Slinky Cat
Old 05-08-19, 07:35 AM

He appears to have been born in Birkenhead on the 6th of August 1896 and is certainly shown in WO372 as 3089 Acting Corporal Machine Gun Corps and 20735 Royal Lancaster Regiment and interestingly, Sgt Machine Gun Corps on Prenton War memorial
Generally speaking, if no papers can be found in WO363 or WO364 at Kew, then they are very unlikely to remain extant today.
I looked at his entry in WO329 and he shown as Lionel Alfred Yarlett in respect of his BWM/AVM pair from the MGC, with a note stating he joined the Z class Army Reserve upon the 12th of August 1919 and he appears to have married in 1921.
The 1939 register shows him as a married Shipyard worker and living at number 26 Seymour Street Birkenhead.

Is he a family member or do you have his medals, or perhaps just another point of interest?

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 05-08-19 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-08-19, 01:24 PM
Banned

Thanks for the information very helpful
The interest is family research. Our family has worked in the ship building industry for a few generations but we are originally from Hampshire and live in Hampshire currently. I can only assume the Birkenhead connection is Cammell Laird related and that Lionel’s father moved up there for that reason?
Old 05-08-19, 07:06 PM

Lionel YARLETT married Jean SUMNER April 1921 at Birkenhead.
Died January 1978, Birkenhead ... from Ancestry.
Old 05-08-19, 08:45 PM

To be quite honest, I think in the case of family, it is best to try and work your way back with what you actually know, the problem is that you need to know the last one hundred years, or, as near to as possible, talk to all the family and find out what they know.

In two years the 1921 census will be made available, but, after that, they will be a two decade gap, the 1931 census is no longer extant and in 1941 the census did not take place because of the Second World War, so the 1939 Register is very important.

You gave a name, a very uncommon one, a rank and unit, a Sgt serving in the MGC during WW1 would be entitled to a BWM at least, there is only the one man with that name shown in both the index and the roll itself.
There is a obvious issue with a man of the same name and Corps in the War Memorial Register, this was put together by the Imperial War Museum, there are two possibilities, the man is shown in error as loosing his life during the war, or, his name appears as simply having actually served during the war, the IWM might be able to clarify what is going on there.

The link in my mind is that Prenton is a suburb of Birkenhead, so I do not see that it can be simply coincidental as a man with that name was born there in 1896 and a man with same name served in the MGC and is mentioned locally given that there appears to be no other of that name that is actually in the same time frame.

Notwithstanding, in the absence of a complete set of service papers, it can only be on the balance of probability. that is the link between the two.
However, you could not loose your life in the war and then go on to join the Army Reserve afterwards in August 1919.
You could speak to the MOD, but, I would think that his papers do not exist now, it would all depend upon the actual reason and date they were last looked at by the War Office.
All the shipyard business you mention in interesting, again, I doubt if it is just coincidental, it might be worth you looking at the census returns in the RG series working back from 1911, as I said, knowing the last century is so important.

Again, I would think the best starting point, is a really good family gathering to find out who knows what, any and all photographs and documents should be got out and passed around, in particular, if you don't know who they might relate to.
Anyway, whatsoever you decide to do I hope it proves fruitful, best of luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Cat View Post
Thanks for the information very helpful
The interest is family research. Our family has worked in the ship building industry for a few generations but we are originally from Hampshire and live in Hampshire currently. I can only assume the Birkenhead connection is Cammell Laird related and that Lionel’s father moved up there for that reason?

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 06-08-19 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-08-19, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
To be quite honest, I think in the case of family, it is best to try and work your way back with what you actually know, the problem is that you need to know the last one hundred years, or, as near to as possible, talk to all the family and find out what they know.

In two years the 1921 census will be made available, but, after that, they will be a two decade gap, the 1931 census is no longer extant and in 1941 the census did not take place because of the Second World War, so the 1939 Register is very important.

You gave a name, a very uncommon one, a rank and unit, a Sgt serving in the MGC during WW1 would be entitled to a BWM at least, there is only the one man with that name shown in both the index and the roll itself.
There is a obvious issue with a man of the same name and Corps in the War Memorial Register, this was put together by the Imperial War Museum, there are two possibilities, the man is shown in error as loosing his life during the war, or, his name appears as simply having actually served during the war, the IWM might be able to clarify what is going on there.

The link in my mind is that Prenton is a suburb of Birkenhead, so I do not see that it can be simply coincidental as a man with that name was born there in 1896 and a man with same name served in the MGC and is mentioned locally given that there appears to be no other of that name that is actually in the same time frame.

Notwithstanding, in the absence of a complete set of service papers, it can only be on the balance of probability. that is the link between the two.
However, you could not loose your life in the war and then go on to join the Army Reserve afterwards in August 1919.
You could speak to the MOD, but, I would think that his papers do not exist now, it would all depend upon the actual reason and date they were last looked at by the War Office.
All the shipyard business you mention in interesting, again, I doubt if it is just coincidental, it might be worth you looking at the census returns in the RG series working back from 1911, as I said, knowing the last century is so important.

Again, I would think the best starting point, is a really good family gathering to find out who knows what, any and all photographs and documents should be got out and passed around, in particular, if you don't know who they might relate to.
Anyway, whatsoever you decide to do I hope it proves fruitful, best of luck to you.
very very helpful Frank and very interesting
The stuff about the war memorial I did not know at all although it is also confusing at the same time !
I will report back to family with the results you have kindly given