British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-03-19, 04:56 PM

Default Tank Corps Oddity

Did a search for Tank Corps yesterday before I made my first post. That's why this thread ends up in this forum. Waded through the 20 pages that came up to see images and read opinions on what to look for when determining the validity of Tank Corps badge. Very informative. What I got out of it is (1) generally, lugs are a bad sign because of style of hat, (2) you would like the slider attached to the TANK scroll not higher, (3) white metal is a red flag, (4) images are important, but actually holding the badge really helpful and (5) the experts can tell who manufactured a badge even when no markings are present. One nugget that I read (although I don't think anyone commented agreeing or disagreeing with the post) was that Tank Corps badges were being made in Canada. That brings me to this badge which was purchased in Toronto at a militaria store in the early 1980s (when I started buying cool bits of metal with absolutely no idea what I was doing). I remember asking why is it painted and the seller saying "that's how they distinguished an officer from other ranks". Me then saying, "That's cool. I'll take it." (Quotes may not be exact, but that's how it played out.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC2 (1).jpg (62.4 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg TC2 (2).jpg (69.8 KB, 154 views)
Old 30-03-19, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hi DDEV, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 30-03-19, 05:29 PM

Hello,

As you say the badge is painted and I would say its relatively modern paint, so not a good sign.

Officers Service Dress (OSD) cap badges were in Bronze and ranged in colour from dark to light and were not painted brown.

I dont know whats lurking underneath the paint but I would suggest probably not a genuine badge otherwise why paint it (recently)

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 30-03-19, 05:35 PM

I would suggest that badge is of very recent manufacture, from the photographs you show and certainly not original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDEV View Post
Did a search for Tank Corps yesterday before I made my first post. That's why this thread ends up in this forum. Waded through the 20 pages that came up to see images and read opinions on what to look for when determining the validity of Tank Corps badge. Very informative. What I got out of it is (1) generally, lugs are a bad sign because of style of hat, (2) you would like the slider attached to the TANK scroll not higher, (3) white metal is a red flag, (4) images are important, but actually holding the badge really helpful and (5) the experts can tell who manufactured a badge even when no markings are present. One nugget that I read (although I don't think anyone commented agreeing or disagreeing with the post) was that Tank Corps badges were being made in Canada. That brings me to this badge which was purchased in Toronto at a militaria store in the early 1980s (when I started buying cool bits of metal with absolutely no idea what I was doing). I remember asking why is it painted and the seller saying "that's how they distinguished an officer from other ranks". Me then saying, "That's cool. I'll take it." (Quotes may not be exact, but that's how it played out.)
Old 30-03-19, 11:17 PM

Default Tank Corps

Whilst being unable to comment on this badge specifically, brown paint may not always be a bad sign- Officers have been known to adopt other ranks badges and paint them. This applies to brown paint, and plastic badges that were also painted gold, silver etc.

Never say 'never'.

Stephen.
Old 30-03-19, 11:58 PM

I can tell you this kind of modern paint on a WW1 British badge you can very safely say ‘never’. It would never be contemporary as the first acrylic paints weren’t even invented until the mid 1930s and this is far more modern.

The only badges I would expect to legitimately see such a modern paint on are blackened anodised badges worn in NI.

Looking at your badge I believe you bought it brand new and have kept it well, I’d never have guessed it was as old as 1980... it’s in far better nick than me!

Your badge is the lop sided crown fake, sorry. Like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-Tank-...9a66%7Ciid%3A1
Old 31-03-19, 09:57 PM

Thanks for your comments.

This badge was bought in my early days of collecting when I was in university. I was interested in tank stuff and interesting looking badges. That directionless buying didn't last too long. I started to focus on Canadian Second World War badges, specifically, the regiments in the five divisions and the tank brigades.

This particular badge rarely came out of the baggie in my militaria box. I bought a Coldstream Guards badge at the same time and will put it through the acid test on this site in the future.
Old 04-04-19, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Whilst being unable to comment on this badge specifically, brown paint may not always be a bad sign- Officers have been known to adopt other ranks badges and paint them. This applies to brown paint, and plastic badges that were also painted gold, silver etc.

Never say 'never'.

Stephen.
I too have seen a few (very few) OSD badges with an applied paint like coating, however they certainly did not look like the badge shown in question.
A paint like coating was commonly used for bronzed US insignia during ww1.

CB