British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-02-11, 03:20 PM

Default starting a collection

as you know i am new to the site,i have a very few badges at the bottom of my medal collection. can any of you advise on a good place to start collecting. the badges are each atractive and historicly interesting in their own right and i would like to satrt collecting
Old 28-02-11, 03:25 PM

Firstly you need to pick a collecting field. Be it a country, corps, unit, time period etc. That I think is most important to start with. Regards Andrew
Old 28-02-11, 03:28 PM

Hi, welcome to the group.

I re-started my collecting about a year ago and decided to pick a period and stick to it. I have been distracted by other items in the interim here and there, but have kept the collection to the British Army of 1914-18. I picked up a copy of Peter Doyle's book "British Army cap badges of the First World War". I have found is suitable for the general collector; and I recommend it. Some of the more dedicated in the forum have much broader areas of collecting and work Kipling and King's etc, and Gaylor. I have a copy of this also, but the Peter's book suits what I am looking for.

Maybe one day once (if I'm lucky) will have the complete content of the book to frame; only time will tell.
Regards

Simon.
Old 28-02-11, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Selecting a theme is important, whatever the theme may be. Collecting the evoluition of badges for one regiment or corps is one possibility. Or, by division or formation at a particular point in time. The BEF at the time of Dunkirk or the badges for the 21st Army Group, May 1945. "Event" collecting is another theme. The First Day of the Somme units makes for an interesting display. "Family" badges, those worn by relatives is yet another theme. Some collectors collect by nationality, eg Scottish badges, or Irish.
A theme helps keep one on focus and lessens the possibility of a scattered accumulation of badges, and may save costly mistakes.
Old 28-02-11, 03:33 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140682 View Post
as you know i am new to the site,i have a very few badges at the bottom of my medal collection. can any of you advise on a good place to start collecting. the badges are each atractive and historicly interesting in their own right and i would like to satrt collecting
I would get hold of a good book, probably the best for a beginer would be Military Badge Collecting by John Gaylor (they can be picked up on Ebay for £10-15).. Have a good read through it and then decide a theme... WW1 Infantry tends to be a favourite for beginers (it's was mine after the 1980s recruiting posters).. Genuine WW1 era badges can still be picked up on ebay for around £5-10 with a few of the Irish and more scarce items quite a bit more but still obtainable.. WW1 Infantry should keep you occupied for a while?

Andy
Old 28-02-11, 04:09 PM

the medals you have in your collection, perhaps you could collect the cap badges to match the units on the medals
regards paj1
Old 28-02-11, 04:16 PM

That's a good idea paj. That would make nice framed sets.

Simon.
Old 28-02-11, 04:53 PM

What sort of badges do you have? You could use them as a basis of a collection. Lets see some pictures!

John
Old 01-03-11, 08:21 AM

Default from martin

all the medals i have in my collection are RN,RM and merchant navy so colecting associated badges may be a small field, however i like the idea about family members badges, i had lots of relatives who served in ww1 and 11. my grandad was in the Royal field Artilliary and joined in 1914 at the start of the war as a horse driver and im lucky enough to have his service bible and he wrote every battle that he served in in it, i can research the others i know one of my dads uncles died the first day he was in france. thanks for all your comments. you are all enthusing me to start a collection.
Old 01-03-11, 09:26 AM

My collecting centres around the family regiments theme which is particularly good if you have items to work from & makes nice displays. For example I have my grandfathers medals & photos in a frame & as he went from RFC to East Surreys to MGC I picked up a cap badge & shoulder title for each regiment to go in the frame.
You will get invaluable advice & help here with anything you are looking for!