British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-11-07, 08:16 AM

Default Unusual headdress

One of the most interesting items of head gear in my opinion is on the attached photo a cap of the 21st Londons (1st Surrey Rifles ) it has a detachable red over black plume. Presumably leaving a hole in the top of the cap when the plume is removed.
Anyone seen anything similar ?
P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img273.jpg (55.9 KB, 142 views)
Old 05-11-07, 03:44 PM

Are you sure the plume goes through the hat, or is it secured behind the badge, I dont think he's wearing it officially, but it may have been on trial on the new style forage cap after the Racoon skin cap and the mounted infantry slouch hat. Cheers Sean.
Old 11-11-07, 09:49 AM

Default 1st Surrey Rifles

Sean,
The plume definatly goes through the top of the hat,the picture is from an old MHS Bulletin and was showing in slightly better detail this unusual distinction which was in a much earlier Bulletin shown being be worn by some officers.

I apologise for the quality of the picture,the illustrations in early Bulletins were not know for their clarity.The earlier photo was even poorer.

Peter
Old 08-01-08, 11:33 PM

Default Uniform/Insignia ID

I wonder if anyone in the forum could assist with the identifivation in the attached photograph. It was taken pre 1914 and is of my grandfather. I know that he served in the RA during WW1 but I believe this to be the uniform of either Royal Highland Fusiliers or Highland Light Infantry. The hackle supports the former but the collar badges are difficult to make out and does not indicate HLI at all.
Any assistance would be most welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NotSure.jpg (50.7 KB, 94 views)
Old 09-01-08, 12:00 AM

I'd say those are definitely Argyl & Sutherland Highlander's collars being worn here.
Is that a confusion, or still OK for the family records?

Cheers !
Steve
Old 09-01-08, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

As they are kilted I don't think they are HLI as they only wore trews and not the kilt.

Alan
Old 09-01-08, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz18 View Post
I'd say those are definitely Argyl & Sutherland Highlander's collars being worn here.
Is that a confusion, or still OK for the family records?

Cheers !
Steve
I agree - A&SH. Kilt, sporran, hackle and above all, collar badges all confirm it. Also, both HLI and RSF wore trews, never kilts.
Old 09-01-08, 06:27 PM

Yeah A&SH Probably 1st Bn between 1905 and 1908 (embroidered titles).
Old 09-01-08, 07:02 PM

Many thanks for the notes on A&SH. This surprised me a little but am far from an expert so I bow to the knowledge. I understand about the trews for RSF and HLI but I thought the bandsmen wore the kilt? Anyway he wasn't a bandsman so that fits. Will post another query shortly.
Thanks again
Old 09-01-08, 07:06 PM

Here is another pic of my Grandfather in his RA days, although I cannot confirm that the uniform/insignia support this . This would be around 1916. Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ted-Senior-Senior.jpg (35.5 KB, 63 views)
Old 09-01-08, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

That style of uniform was withdrawn in 1914 so it should be pre-war.

Alan
Old 10-01-08, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGP View Post
Here is another pic of my Grandfather in his RA days, although I cannot confirm that the uniform/insignia support this . This would be around 1916. Any thoughts?
Doesn't look like RA to me. Collar is a pale colour (may be white but you cannot always tell in B&W photos) and he is also wearing a star helmet plate whereas from memory the RA's was a coat of arms with a gun. Looks more like Army Service Corps (ASC) but I do not have reference books to hand to check cuff pattern, etc. My supposition is that your Grandfather did a shortish stint with the A&SH in the early 1900s and then was recalled to the colours in WW1 as a Regular Reservist, but went into the ASC due to 'special skills' held or a lower medical grading. He was then probably with an ASC 'artillery train' providing ammunition resuppy and thus 'serving' with the RA. Indicators of ASC are the white collars (ASC facing colours), the cuff pattern (with trefoil), the Ball Top to the Universal Helmet (also worn by RA and AOC), the Girdle belt with a white line (just visible), twisted white shoulder cords (key indicator) and the Star Helmet Plate.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 14-01-08 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Added facts and supposition.
Old 10-01-08, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Doesn't look like RA to me. Collar is a pale colour (may be white but you cannot always tell in B&W photos) and he is alos wearing a star helmet plate whereas from memory the RA's was a coat of arms with a gun. Looks more like Army Service Corps (ASC) or non Scottish Line infantry but I do not have reference books to hand to check cuff pattern, etc. My supposition is that your Grandfather did a shortish stint with the A&SH in the early 1900s and then was recalled to the colours in WW1 as a Regular Reservist, but went into the ASC due to 'special skills' held or a lower medical grading. He was then probably with an ASC 'artillery train' providing ammunition resuppy and thus 'serving' with the RA.
Thank you....another piece of the jigsaw (the last) is attached. He is the Sergeant on the RH side, clearly in the RA in France. Where the mounted stint was in the previous pic I do not know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1EAP.jpg (86.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 10-01-08, 02:08 PM

Chaps
Can anyone identify the second picture as i think the first one is Cameron Highlanders and also maybe put a date to them both.

Cheers
Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown 2.jpg (52.5 KB, 55 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 10-01-08, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

How about RA - could be RA titles and badge and the helmet has a rounded ball rather than spiked top.

Alan