British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-07-18, 12:10 PM

Default Poppy Pin Badges

Hi All,

It would appear that someone is now trying to cash in on the poppy pin badges. This particular one isn't being sold at a huge amount but given that the older ones such as the 2007 and 2008 can get upwards of £200 how long will it be before someone tries to pass these larger 2007 ones off as originals?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173412908933

Michael
Old 24-07-18, 01:50 PM

I have to agree the 2007 badge seems to be the same size as the 2014-2018 badges, when in fact it is smaller as the earlier dated 2006-2013 range. Nor is it a raised date as this one seems to be!

I need a 2008 to complete the set, but no joy...

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 24-07-18, 01:52 PM

I'm trying to get anything pre 2010 but at those prices I won't be getting them.

Michael
Old 01-08-18, 08:34 AM

It is a great shame to see people doing this, but, I suppose it can only be expected, it was the same with the Somme poppies, in that individuals were profiteering at the expense of the RBL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Hi All,

It would appear that someone is now trying to cash in on the poppy pin badges. This particular one isn't being sold at a huge amount but given that the older ones such as the 2007 and 2008 can get upwards of £200 how long will it be before someone tries to pass these larger 2007 ones off as originals?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173412908933

Michael
Old 01-08-18, 08:39 AM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

It leaves a bad taste in the mouth. These listings should be removed.
Old 01-08-18, 01:00 PM

The seller says this is an official RBL Issue and that he is an authorised seller. Is that untrue?
Old 01-08-18, 01:19 PM

He may well be, but, anyone could say that, I'd feel rather more confident if I were actually buying from the RBL, who, interestingly, do sell on ebay.
Old 01-08-18, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
The seller says this is an official RBL Issue and that he is an authorised seller. Is that untrue?
I think the link in the first post has now jumped to another sale because the original item has ended. So this thread is now completely out of context.

Rob
Old 01-08-18, 03:59 PM

It is still possible to see the original page by clicking on the word "listing" notwithstanding the basic issue remains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
I think the link in the first post has now jumped to another sale because the original item has ended. So this thread is now completely out of context.

Rob
Old 01-08-18, 04:00 PM

Click on listing and it's still there.
Old 01-08-18, 04:07 PM

It was as much about letting people see it, I'm sure more will surface with other sellers.

Here's a variation people may not have spotted

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F253771839443

Copied from the ones made out of the WW1 fuses.

I asked the seller if that's what it was and they said no but how many bidders ask that as opposed to how many assume that's what it is.

If you look at the feedback this seller has sold loads of them but to be fair doesn't say that's what they are. Definately cashing in on the poppy though.

Michael
Old 01-08-18, 04:48 PM

The obverse appears the same as the Somme poppy, the reverse differs.

Quote:
It was as much about letting people see it, I'm sure more will surface with other sellers.

I asked the seller if that's what it was and they said no but how many bidders ask that as opposed to how many assume that's what it is.

If you look at the feedback this seller has sold loads of them but to be fair doesn't say that's what they are. Definately cashing in on the poppy though.

Michael
Old 03-08-18, 07:30 AM

Interesting that the same seller has what appears to be one of last years Passchendaele poppies, but, without the box or certificate.
Old 09-08-18, 05:41 PM

Seller seems to have no shortage of these, has anyone got any thoughts on them, the example with Lest we forget on it's reverse, appears the same as that sold by the RBL on the centenary of the Great War, the example with the green enamel and Ypres 1917, appears to be one of last years Passchendaele poppies.

Is that what they actually are, minus the RBL packaging and certificates?

Quote:

Michael
Old 09-08-18, 06:30 PM

Frank if this is the same seller I contacted originally (and I think it is) they told me outright that it wasn't an original but you are correct that they do look like the originals sold on the Poppy shop website.

In my opinion they are being sold on auction one at a time to make it look like it's a real one and someone doesn't realise what they have.

If it was real why would they sell a £40 badge for a few pounds and how would they have so many to sell one after another.

This to me is just someone cashing in on the public's desire to be seen to wear a poppy because unfortunately the poppy badge has become a fashion symbol.

When I'm out collecting some people think nothing of handing £10 over for one of the official pin badges but others say the £2 or £3 is too much yet they are happy to go on ebay or down to the market and buy a diamante one or one with their football team's badge on or one of the other pieces of tat that is being sold with the poppy on.

How much of the money from items such as this and all the other unofficial ones goes to the Poppy Appeal where a lot of people think their money is going? How many people actually question the seller about it? If they did they would hear some fantastic stories about how the money is taken off at source from the importer so they don't have to, or that they are donating a percentage to help for hero's or some other charity that has nothing to do with it.

Sorry for the rant but these badges and the ones like them really get under my skin.

Michael