British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-08-18, 12:46 AM

Default North Staffs Regt badge backing

A speculative buy from eBay, bought on impulse only because I couldn't identify the badge backing- foolish I know but...

The backing is two pieces of cloth: an oval of maroon (faded to a reddish brown) overlaid with a black oblong.

The cap badge has two lugs, and has been on the cloth for some period of time judging by the imprint it has left.

In the past another badge, with slider has been worn with this backing, judging from the hole left by a slider. To demonstrate I have fitted a North Staffordshire cap badge with slider using the original hole.

This backing does not feature in the badge backing booklet, but the colours of maroon, black and white were regimental.

In the same Lot were a 14th Army FS and a 36th Division FS. A quick look in Joslen fails to disclose a North Staffs Bn serving with any of the component Brigades of 36 Div.

Thoughts:
a) the cap badge is a copy (being lugged) and was fitted later having no connection to the cloth backing
b) the cap badge and formation signs are not historically connected
c) the cap badge was worn by a unit converted from N Staffs (but I cannot find a RA link in Litchfield)

I open this problem up to the forum for solving.

Thanks for looking, Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg North Staffs badge backing (1).jpg (40.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg North Staffs badge backing (2).jpg (27.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg North Staffs badge backing (3).jpg (25.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg North Staffs badge backing (5).jpg (36.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg North Staffs badge backing (6).jpg (32.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 18-08-18, 07:39 AM

Could the maroon be from a para beret, the badge and black backing being cut from the beret rather than being mounted on a maroon backing patch?
Old 18-08-18, 09:03 AM

Could there be a link with 5th North Staffords, According to Wiki (unreliable I know) they served in Anti Aircraft Command covering the Midlands area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...shire_Regiment

Simon.
Old 18-08-18, 10:50 AM

Default North Staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
Could there be a link with 5th North Staffords, According to Wiki (unreliable I know) they served in Anti Aircraft Command covering the Midlands area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...shire_Regiment

Simon.
Simon,
Your source is correct about 5 N Staffs becoming a LAA Regt. Post-1947 they continued in that role as 576 (Mixed) LAA/SL Regt, still wearing the N Staffs Regt badge. I am unaware of them wearing a backing though.

Stephen.
= = =

Leigh,

Sadly not part of an airborne beret. The reverse is still the same reddish brown, not a maroon beret colour.

Stephen.
Old 18-08-18, 12:11 PM

Perhaps not likely, but "NZEF black badge backing" as sold by Kelly's on a swatch of headgear fabric for display purposes? Unassociated with N Staffs Regt?

Shown worn on GSC in this article?
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/kiwis...?source=images
Old 18-08-18, 02:15 PM

Looking into "Badge Backings & Special Embellishments of the British Army" [isbn 0 9514342 0 9]. the North staffs are recorded that on amalgamation in 1959 the regiment retained the South Staffs 'Holland' backing to both badge and collars. Holland is a khaki collared linen cloth primarily used to line waistcoats and tunics.
Further the regiment is recorded as wearing a 3" black square badge backing 1943 - 45.
Old 18-08-18, 10:25 PM

Default N Staffs

The Holland patch is a very light biscuit coloured rough weave material, nothing like what is fitted to this one, but I appreciate the thought behind your suggestion.

I'm sure someone will come up with an answer eventually.

Stephen.