British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-08-18, 07:24 PM

Default Grandads Regiment

My gt grandad joined the army 6/11/1919 in Devizes Wiltshire. I know he was mounted cavalry but I am having trouble figuring out which regiments he was with and when. I have attached snippets of the docs I have.
The way I read it is-
Joined 6/11/1919 in Devizes and was with 5th Lancers till 5/2/1922 when he joined 1st Kings Dragoon Guards then moved to the 7th Hussars on 21/3/1924 and was with them till the end of his service.

The problem I am having is that the 5th was disbanded in 1921 then reformed in 1922. So where will he have been during that time. Or do I just have my timeline wrong?

I know he was stationed in Edinburgh in 1925 because he married my gt gran and they had their first child there, but their second was born in Amesbury, Wiltshire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charles L Shoemark Military Records edit regs.jpg (39.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-08-18, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Hello mhall, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 02-08-18, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

A minor correction whilst the 5th Lancers was disbanded in 1921, it did not reform in 1922. Rather the junior squadron of the 5th's former personnel was reformed as part of a newly amalgamated regiment the 16th/5th Lancers.

There were a number of regts that were amalgamated. I have read accounts recording that the cavalrymen were run down in 1921 with many personnel being transferred out to other cavalry regts in advance leaving a reducing cadre. When the regts were reprieved through amalgamation those soldiers were subsequently transfered back into those newly merged regiments.

I suspect your grandfather was either with the reduced cadre up to Feb '22 or more likely was attached with the KDG but not formally transferred until then.

Last edited by Alan O; 02-08-18 at 01:13 PM.