British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-11-09, 12:37 PM

Default GMG Battalion

Hi all, any views and comments on this badge plze, I bought it from a dealer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 143.jpg (39.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 144.jpg (40.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-11-09, 12:38 PM

there is no dot in the Gaunt London
Old 06-11-09, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Modern fake I am afraid. The originals were not marked.

Alan
Old 06-11-09, 01:22 PM

Here's mine for what it's worth - I'd like to think it's original as it came from a reliable dealer. I can take it on the chin if not...

Does anyone know of a bronze version of this badge? Never seen one, but according to KK it exists?

Cheers, Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KK923 Front.jpg (60.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg KK923 Rear.jpg (57.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-11-09, 02:50 PM
Former Member

69th,

as Alan has mentioned it's a repro and any dealer worth his salt should of known this! The Gaunt mark is a style from around the 1970's, more common on QE2 pattern badges! Get a refund and name and shame if it's one of the well know dealers!

Neil,
yours is one of the better badges I've seen and looks good, it is still the thinly struck pattern, whereas the one I'm sure is 100% genuine and in my album is much thicker (I'm sure there were variations of original badges, I'd be happier with yours that 69th's).

Andy
Old 06-11-09, 06:21 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

This little discussion has brought up a subject, that, no matter how hard I try, I can not get my head around !!

It is the Gaunt dot/Gaunt, no dot mark.

Firstly, we are told by the more knowing, that a dot after Gaunt is a no no, some badges without a dot are considered to be OK, is it anything to do with B'ham and London marks ??

How do we know when a Gaunt mark is good, as an example, I have just had this mark endorsed, with my limited experience, this badge feels good and I believe the member who has assured me, where do we turn to for a definitive answer ??

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45 016.jpg (67.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 45 015.jpg (55.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 06-11-09, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

It is actually very simple when properly explained.

1. Most recent mark is JR Gaunt Bham - probably post 1973 - anything in a/a could be OK if it was in use to that period. Anything that is supposed to date from the 1960s or earlier (some a/a and all brass) is reproduction.

2. JRGaunt London in a large font is late 1940s and 1950s. This is found on metal and a/a and is nearly always correct. The rare exception is when genuine sliders have been put on fakes.

3. JRGaunt.London in a medium font with the full stop is a fake mark still being used by fakers today.

4. A very small JRGaunt London or JR Gaunt.London is found on some WW2 badges and occasioanly some earlier ones. The font is very small and hard to read.

For sizes and comparisons then go the makers mark album.

Alamn
Old 06-11-09, 06:36 PM
Former Member

Dave,
it is the size too! Loads and loads of threads on this subject with pictures as well! The badge (L&BH) you show is a 1970s (I think) Gaunt made badge. These were made by Gaunt from original dies. The ones to avoid have small lettering with GAUNT.LONDON, These must still be being made by someone, as they seem to be in abundance there are not GAUNT.B'HAM ones (never seen one anyway!!). See the makers mark section too!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for....london&page=4

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 06-11-09 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-11-09, 07:14 PM

Andy, Have a look at mine, see how it compares to yours, I've always been happy with it but would still like your opinion, cheers, Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img720.jpg (79.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg img721.jpg (91.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 06-11-09, 07:37 PM
Former Member

Wilf,
again yours looks good however, there are so many about for such a small unit! They all appear to be in un-polished condition too, strange for a Guards badge, they like polishing badges!!!

Your slider looks OK it is in the correct position and there is plenty of detail to the front! I would certainly hang onto that one!

Andy
Old 06-11-09, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
Andy, Have a look at mine, see how it compares to yours, I've always been happy with it but would still like your opinion, cheers, Wilf.
Have a look at where the slider is soldered on to mine and the other 2 that have been posted on here, slight difference there!
I have just sent the dealer a message requesting ether a refund (£25) or a replacement, or how do he want to do it! Im quite happy with other 2 badges I bought from him but will post them on the morrow.
Old 06-11-09, 07:53 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69th View Post
Have a look at where the slider is soldered on to mine and the other 2 that have been posted on here, slight difference there!
I have just sent the dealer a message requesting ether a refund (£25) or a replacement, or how do he want to do it! Im quite happy with other 2 badges I bought from him but will post them on the morrow.

At £25 I'd be almost certain he suspected it was a copy!

Andy