British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-21, 09:45 PM

Question Cambridgeshire Regt cast badges

I am sorting my Cambridgeshire Regt badges and have these two silver cast badges, both appear to have been cast in silver from a mould made from a bi-metal other ranks cap badges.

They are both slightly different as to be expected, one came with a collection of badges which were mainly Suffolk badges.

As both Btns of the Cambridgeshire Regt served in Malaya/Singapore I wonder as to whether these were made in India or Ceylon on the way home after 1945 as replacements for lost badges whilst prisoners or in action.

Thoughts and ideas welcome.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030459.jpg (89.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg P1030457.jpg (75.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg P1030458.jpg (80.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 29-03-21, 03:15 PM

Those lugs are British style, not typical of Indian made badges. That and the overall appearance of the casting just does not say Indian to me. But that does not make it impossible they were made there.

CB
Old 29-03-21, 04:02 PM

Default Cambridgeshire badges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Those lugs are British style, not typical of Indian made badges. That and the overall appearance of the casting just does not say Indian to me. But that does not make it impossible they were made there.

CB

CB, You are quite correct, those loops are not the type generally associated with "sandcast" locally made badges, of course being officers they may have been made by a jeweller somewhere and possibly in the UK.

One of them came as I said with a collection of British badges which had quite a lot of Suffolk Regt items amongst it, all badges were originals and these two have had me intrigued for years.

Rob