British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-09-14, 06:59 AM

Frank,

I agree that the badge shown at the start of this thread is likely to be a dud. However, in this instance, we should not steer collectors clear of die-struck badges if they have provenance. The badge in the previous linked thread has a tell-tale long slider which is an indicator that the badges were made to fit the Pagri band on the foreign service helmet.

Regards,

Garry (not Rob) =)
Old 18-09-14, 07:47 AM

Hello Garry,
Sorry, I managed to get your name wrong, almost all the copies have a long slider, of various sorts, many of these actually date from the 1970's and they do turn up in quite old collections that are made up of good material, but, they have never been anywhere near Africa.
The word provenance is a very dangerous one and is so often used, I looked at a group of AAC items the other day for someone, who insisted that it was real because it all belonged to his grandfather, all well and good, but when exactly did grandfather acquire the said items and from who, in this case, he certainly did not get them during the war.
I do remember seeing an older copy of this badge, circa early 1970's, turn up with a Great War pair to a fellow that had served in this corps.
It had actually come from the gentleman's family who suggested it was original, but, it was certainly not, so I'm always very sceptical when ever the word is used.
The die cast badges were not locally purchased, in the sense that a ranker had to buy it, they were actually issued and worn on the helmet.
Regards Frank
Old 18-09-14, 03:38 PM

Smile 25th Royal Frontiersmen Fusiliers Type 3 (Reinforcements)

Firstly I have to say that I should have included this badge to this thread and not started a fresh thread, this has now been put in the correct place, apologies to all.

Having had a good look at the badges it appears that my version is a 25th Royal Frontiersmen Fusiliers Type 3 (Reinforcements) which is yet to be confirmed as original on this part of the thread.

I should have gone through the thread as I have contributed to it previously, the badge came as I said with some Canadian badges and will stay with my Frontiersmen as a variation. Many thanks to all and I will try to find the correct thread in future.

Rob
Old 23-09-14, 10:33 AM

Rob

I agree with your statement that your version is that which is still to be confirmed as original. My belief is that it is an early copy, I won't call it a dud, but that style of badge does appear most regularly and is certainly copied to various standards, mostly poorly.

I also agree with Garry's assertion that we should not steer collectors clear of die-struck badges completely. There is one die-struck version of the badge out there that is sound (in my opinion) and that has the longer slider i.e. the slider shows a good distance below the scroll, most copies (again in my opinion) with the slider have it stopping above the bottom edge of the scroll.

Regards

Steve
Old 29-09-14, 03:07 PM

Default LOF LAPEL BADGE

HI 4966Ian, I have a small lapel badge similar to yours in good condition.

When I tried to research the number on the reverse, I was told a name wasn't available because a lot of records were lost during the 'blitz'.

Without getting mine out of it's frame, I think it's a 3 or 4 digit number.
Pity the original owner can't be found.

Bill.
Old 11-09-15, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
Legion of Frontiesmen collar badge, circa 1926 onwards.
Same design used as a cap badge on a forage cap with uniform I saw at The East Of England Showground in the 80's, dark blue uniform, yellow facings, yellow metal insignia.
Another one I didn't buy.

Not badges but I thought I'd post this image as it was to hand & the thread dormant for a while - Canadian Legion 10 years service medal at the tail end of a group to an ex - RSG man with an interesting history of underage service & false names.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1014387.jpg (69.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-03-18, 09:57 AM

Using this old thread starting with "Artillas Logic" I've asseembled by collection as in photos. Welcome feedback as to if I have these assembled right and if any further clarification from this old thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontr1.jpg (51.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg frontr2.jpg (37.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg frontr3.jpg (29.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 23-11-23, 06:07 PM

Old thread but looks the best thread for opinion. Regards, Paul.
20231123_151923.jpg 20231123_151941.jpg 20231123_151952.jpg
20231123_152016.jpg 20231123_152022.jpg 20231123_152039.jpg
Old 23-11-23, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Genuine locally made badge.
Old 23-11-23, 06:36 PM

Discounting the Gamage’s/Garages badge the only Frontiersmen Bn badge I’d personally have or want in my collection is an example from the die Steve E shows in post #80.
Old 23-11-23, 07:15 PM

I can understand that Luke. I would also like that example. There is an uneasy feeling spending good money on a badge that looks like it could still be knocked up in somewhat less than factory conditions, but to me it matches the 'Type 2' . Outline of right end (as viewed) of scroll looks to be a match though mine has had a slight ding. It weighs 25-26 grams on my kitchen scales though I expect there is variation. Regards, Paul.
Old 23-11-23, 11:26 PM

I’d be careful referencing ‘types’, that’s a members theory so far as I can see rather than any stratified issue or born out by sufficiently clear period photos.

So far the man with the clearest image of the badge I’ve yet seen is below and it looks fairly obvious from width of the flames he’s not wearing one of those cast badges.

Look at the number of flaws in the lettering on your badge v’s the similar examples in posts #4 and #5. Neither have pock marking or bubble holes in lettering like the one above.

But ultimately if you’re happy etc. etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0260.jpeg (32.9 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Luke H; 23-11-23 at 11:31 PM.
Old 24-11-23, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

The regt spent most of the war in Southern Africa so had cast badges made out there.
Old 25-11-23, 04:16 AM

East Africa.