British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-06-12, 10:38 AM

Default Tyneside Scottish opinions please.

Hello all
i brought this badge today and now i am at home i,m not so sure it,s ok.It seems rather shiney,but i would welcome others opinions.

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tyneside Scottish 001.jpg (54.0 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg Tyneside Scottish 002.jpg (55.4 KB, 294 views)
Old 18-06-12, 11:31 AM

Andy,
I have one very similar but with voiding below the thistle heads closest to the St Andrew's cross. This may be a makers variation.
Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg London Scottish 2nd patern.jpg (57.3 KB, 199 views)
Old 18-06-12, 12:17 PM

Hi Andy

Another example similar to Eddies. The font is different to yours, but I will echo Eddie on the maker variation possibility. Someone with more knowledge may be able to comment on the lugs?

Regards, Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NHP006.6.jpg (47.5 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg NHP006.6Rear.jpg (62.8 KB, 124 views)
Old 18-06-12, 01:54 PM

Thankyou Niel and Eddie for your input.Is having lugs a problemn with this badge.

Andy
Old 18-06-12, 02:06 PM

Andy,
I have seen these badges with both lugs or pins.
Eddie
Old 18-06-12, 03:22 PM

Hi Andy Tyneside Scottish Cap Badges are a nightmare. They have been copied forever. I don't like the colour of your lugs and wouldn't buy it. However I am no expert on TS, there are many example on this site please search and you'll see others and can make your own mind up. However a little background.

There are 4 patterns and six distinct badges from WW1 alone. Worn from 1914 to 1919.
1st Pattern. Round. Voided in silver Officers and solid White metal OR's.
2nd Pattern. Lion Salient: Both feet on tower. Silver Officers and White metal OR's.
3rd Pattern. Lion Rampant: standing on hind leg. Silver Officers and White metal OR's.
4th Pattern. Lion has legs inside tower. White metal.

During WW2 when they served as 1st Tyneside Scottish (Black Watch) the Red Hackle and Black Watch Tartan Arm Flash only was worn though the 2nd pattern badge featured on all stationary and on Xmas cards etc.

However the badge was again worn post war this time by Field Officers and Pipers, Red Hackle and Tartan Arm Flash worn from 1947 when the 1st TS (BW) converted to Royal Artillery:

1947-55. 670th Light Anti Aircraft Regiment R.A. (Tyneside Scottish) (TA)

1955-56 became S (Tyneside Scottish) Battery of 439th LAA Regiment RA. (TA)

1956-67 Q (Tyneside Scottish) Battery R.A. of 439th (Tyne) L.A.A. Regiment R.A (TA)

In 1967, 439th , 274th, 324th (excuse designations) Regiments RA merged to form 101st (Northumbrian) Field Regiment R.A (V) The Tyneside Scottish disappeared.

1980, 204th Medium Battery RA where redesignated 204th (The Tyneside Scottish) Field Battery 101st (Northumbrian) Field Regiment R.A. (V)
Old 18-06-12, 05:17 PM

Thankyou very much tynesideirish for your most detailed reply.I thought the lugs were o.k when i brought this badge they seemed very strong,but i have to admit i,m still trying to find my way with Bages.It was the shineyness of the metal that made me post,think i might put this one to one side for the time being.
Andy
Old 18-06-12, 05:37 PM

I think the badge back tells more of a story than the front. For some reason, the fakers concentrate on the detail for the front but overlook detail on the back. For example, the finish is often poor and the lugs are not period. Bear in mind that the early issues had pinback fittings, and later issues had lugs fitted. In these latter examples I look for brass (yellow) solder around the base of the lugs and dark lugs (although chemical treatment can artificially darken them). This is by no means infallible but serves as a general guide for me when deciding to buy or not to buy.

(cynical_script) p.s Quite a bit of a collectors budget can be snaffled by manufacturing repro badges that have the features of the genuine article. In a hobby where observation is tantamount to knowing what is good and what's not, this method (above) is only valid until the faker reads this thread and the makes adjustments so that the next release of fakes has addressed these issues. (/cynical_script)
Old 18-06-12, 05:50 PM

Hi All,
The lack of voiding at base of thistles in Andy's badge (first picture) is a worry. All my badges of this version are voided.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 18-06-12, 05:59 PM

For me the "blacking" on the back of the badge, I have seen a lot on re-strikes. I thinks it's some form of artificial aging to highlight detail. I can't imagine if it was a period piece the reason to stain the back black in any way.

The lack of voiding on the thistle too is a no no, as Tinto pointed out.

A restrike for me and worth leaving alone.

Simon.
Old 18-06-12, 08:11 PM
Banned

Default Tyneside Scottish / Wood 448 / KK1137.

Good evening.

The badge you depict has been the subject of copious discussion above, so there is little merit in reiterating the general consensus.

So, let`s get off the fence now. Send it back; load of junk.

Well you did ask.

If you are imagining this was produced in the Great War, you can be fairly cetain it wasn`t. Col. Wood would tell you, if you asked him, that all of the Great War versions of these Tyneside Scottish large cross pattern badges were produced with horizontal pin fitings ie. Wood 448 and Wood 450. With the cash you recover you might then go and invest in his book, one of the best ever produced to a County Regiment. Now being prepared for re-issue.

When you obtain a copy you will see that the badge you depict above, in its original issue, was not in fact voided in the lower section between the thistles, contrary to the suggestion made above. It was reportedly provided in April 1915 as the gift of Mrs. F. M. Laing. (probably of Art Gallery fame!). You will note the same is evident in the illustration in K&K.

Then again Col. Wood might be utterly wrong: but, he has been collecting to the Regiment for 75 years. So, I`d take his advice over and above that of anyone else.

Aren`t books based on decades of work by other collectors fascinating? And yet folk seem to rush out and spend their precious funds without buying and reading even the most basic of reference sources. Wierd!

Wonder what they do with their motor cars?

Enjoy.

S.T.
Old 18-06-12, 08:26 PM

Hi S.T.

Well I was right on it being junk,,,,,,

But, the question of voids on the Thistle. Is that just a makers variation or dated pattern specific?

Simon.
Old 18-06-12, 08:28 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy. View Post
Hello all
i brought this badge today and now i am at home i,m not so sure it,s ok.It seems rather shiney,but i would welcome others opinions.

Andy
Andy,
the beast is supposed to be a lion? On the copies it looks like an angry ferret!! The symmetry and girth of the arms is all wrong and the "X" to the banner is oversized! - I'm fairly sure yours is one such badge!

Another Andy
Old 19-06-12, 11:35 AM

Thankyou all for your input,I have taken all comments on board and the badge which cost very little (£4) i will put to one side as a reminder that i still have lots to learn.Again thanks to all those who responded.

Andy
Old 07-10-12, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

I thought members might like to see this photo of a 1940 sealed pattern card.

The WW2 badge was the 3rd pattern design and was lugged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tyneside scottish 1940.jpg (35.5 KB, 274 views)