British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-11-19, 06:43 PM

Default Artillery button

I was wondering if anyone else had a similar button a right facing three cannon artillery button. The back is somewhat corroded but it looks like S.Firmin Strand. I would think if it was a Royal artillery issue it was very short lived as I cant find one about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg artillery1.jpg (114.4 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg s,firmin.jpg (95.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 25-11-19, 06:59 PM

Never seen a button like that.

As the cannon are mounted on a Garrison Carriage maybe a Navy type.

Marc
Old 25-11-19, 07:13 PM

Its not in the bible on the subject, Buttons of the Royal Artillery" by Norman Litchfield.

Very similar buttons are in there to the regular artillery dating from the period c. 1785 - 1802.

A very similar one states, ..... These buttons were worn at a later date by some of the HEIC Artillery units before specific buttons were introduced for the Bengal, Bombay & Mdras Foot and Horse Artilleries.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 26-11-19, 02:51 PM

I've been told another identical button to this "was featured as an unknown Royal Artillery button in the Dec 2009 issue of "Button Lines" c.1793-1797" mounted on naval or garrison carriage. Still unknown, but in the Sept 2006 issue of B.L. there was a copper/gilt button, bone-backed, with the same gun/carriage facing right with the same pile of balls auctioned for 446 pounds. It came from the Norman Litchfield collection dated c.1770-80. There was the garrison that existed to defend the Royal Navy Dockyard in Bermuda from the 1790's, perhaps others"
Old 26-11-19, 04:38 PM

What a superb specimen, I think at my age I would be almost be prepared to give my Left *** for a button like that! Thanks for sharing the pic.! Regards, D.J.
Old 26-11-19, 04:51 PM

Manchesters, You mention the “Bible” on the subject of Royal Artillery buttons. Over the years, Ive found that every “Bible” has omissions and obviously these omissions are NOT the fault of the compiler. There are many buttons in Litchfield’s book that I do not (and will probably never) have. There again, I have British Artillery buttons that he does not show. The number of Volunteer Artillery buttons alone would be quite daunting to track down. If anyone were interested in seeing buttons NOT in Litchfield’s book, I would try and post a couple. Regards, David J.
Old 26-11-19, 05:35 PM

David,

I would be particularly interested to see any Lancashire Volunteer or Militia Artillery buttons.

regards

Old 26-11-19, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
Manchesters, You mention the “Bible” on the subject of Royal Artillery buttons. Over the years, Ive found that every “Bible” has omissions and obviously these omissions are NOT the fault of the compiler. There are many buttons in Litchfield’s book that I do not (and will probably never) have. There again, I have British Artillery buttons that he does not show. The number of Volunteer Artillery buttons alone would be quite daunting to track down. If anyone were interested in seeing buttons NOT in Litchfield’s book, I would try and post a couple. Regards, David J.
An album of your buttons would be an asset to all.

Marc
Old 27-11-19, 01:01 AM

Hi Simon and Mark, First I will try to post two pics., one Liverpool Artillery, one Lancashire Artillery but knowing both of you to have an extensive collection you’ll probably just yawn!
Mark, In reference to albums, I haven’t the faintest idea how to do that. Albums I’ve seen on this forum are superb and how they are achieved is beyond me. They look so professional and orderly laid out. I know Simon and yourself have many pages, even so, I may have one or two badges that either one of you do not have. So, I’ll do the two buttons tonight later. Regards, David J.
Old 27-11-19, 04:20 AM

For Simon (Manchesters) As promised, the only artillery buttons I have from Lancashire. Mark, Another button that has me wondering is the third button. Trails very different to the normal 3 gun button as is the oblique view, note the far wheel on each gun. Perhaps the back mark of this button gives a clue as to year of manufacture. Regards, David J. Sorry Mark, pics in next post. D.J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0682.jpg (70.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0683.jpg (58.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0684.jpg (44.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0689.jpg (45.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 27-11-19, 04:23 AM

Mark, (54 Bty) Here is the button refered to in my last post. Regards, David J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0690.jpg (42.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0691.jpg (48.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 27-11-19, 07:47 AM

Quote:
For Simon (Manchesters) As promised, the only artillery buttons I have from Lancashire. Mark, Another button that has me wondering is the third button. Trails very different to the normal 3 gun button as is the oblique view, note the far wheel on each gun. Perhaps the back mark of this button gives a clue as to year of manufacture. Regards, David J. Sorry Mark, pics in next post. D.J.
D.J.

Thanks for those. What dates are they and is the Lancs AV white metal?

regards

Old 27-11-19, 12:29 PM

Simon, Yes, as I see no trace of silver plate and it hasn’t gone black. The Liverpool one of course has a lot of gilt still attached. D.J.
Old 27-11-19, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Simon, Yes, as I see no trace of silver plate and it hasn’t gone black. The Liverpool one of course has a lot of gilt still attached. D.J.
Thankyou

Old 27-11-19, 06:07 PM

Thanks for showing the pictures Artynut it would be nice to see some more of your collection maybe a group photo would be easier than an album?. This is another i'm trying to ID for another collector. I've noticed a volunteer artillery button that had two cannons depicted so maybe its part of the volunteer cinq ports or similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cannon.jpg (41.9 KB, 49 views)