British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-06-08, 06:36 PM

Default Royal Navy Wwi Torpedoed Survivor Patch?

Hello,
Does anyone know what this torpedo embroidered patch is and where it was worn on the jumper? It is 7 cm large.

I heard of a torpedo patch was worn after the WWI by sailors who had been topedoed and survived. Does it this patch?

Thanks for any information.
Cheers.
J-F
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RN torpedo.jpg (37.3 KB, 151 views)
Old 08-06-08, 06:31 PM
Badge Guru

Let me start by saying I need that badge! Not a strict rule in regards torpedos; also awarded to MM men who had been mined.

To quote The Board of Trade regarding the wear of this badge:

Quote:
The Torpedo badge is to be sewn on the cuff of the left sleeve of either sea or shore rig, with head of torpedo pointing away from the wearer
If your total nut you could consult MT9/1300/M5841/1919 at the National Archives regarding the badge.

Badges were awarded to next of kin where a claim was successful had the applicant survived.

The badge was authorised on 6th June 1918. On the 12th December the badge was approved in gold wire. Holders of the red badge and bar could exchange them for the gold badge.
Old 09-06-08, 06:53 PM

Hello Jibba Jabba,
Thanks a lot for your reply, now I know many things about this badge. What do you mean by MM men? (Marchant Navy?). Does the official name of this badge is "Torpedo badge"?
I wonder how long time it was worn after the WW1?
Cheers.
J-F
Old 09-06-08, 08:53 PM

Hello All

Never having seen or heard of this badge before, is it regarded as rare? and what is the value of such an item?

Regards
Destro
Old 10-06-08, 09:29 AM
Badge Guru

MM - Mercantile Marine

The offical name is "Torpedo Badge".

These badge are rares and if yout lucky you can find them in boxes of navy bullion for pence.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 10-06-08 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-04-14, 03:38 PM

this is an example of an Torpedo badge that came with a WW1/WW2 mercantile marine medal group also came with a couple of original MN cap badges
Attached Images
File Type: jpg torpedo badge front.jpg (45.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg torpedo badge back.jpg (49.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 03-04-14, 09:48 PM

Apparently the Navy had a huge leather bound ledger from WW1 which recorded all the issues of this badge with relevant details,this ledger was destroyed officially in the 1960,s as being of no " historical value ".I have a framed MM and BWM medal pair from WW1 with an officers torpedo badge issued to James Mclintock of Maryport ,Cumberland,when purchased I was unaware what the badge was.Gold Braid for officers and red cotton for ratings.Bob.
Old 19-12-16, 07:33 PM

Default WW1 "Torpedo Badge" (RED) going on ebay now

I have had one of these badges in the drawer for years, not knowing what it is. As I have no interest in it. I am going to list it on ebay for sale.

the whole badge measures 72mm long x 19mm high
the actual torpedo measures 59mm long x 12mm wide
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1 TORPEDO BADGE.jpg (11.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 20-12-16, 06:32 AM

Why not offer it on the forum first? I'm sure there will be some interest?
Cheers,
Alex
Old 21-05-20, 06:05 AM

Default Torpedo badge

Hello collectors, I"m soon getting this badge but it has a star above the torpedo it's in gold bullion am I correct in saying that the star denotes 5 times torpedoed or mined
Best regards
Trevor.
Old 28-05-20, 07:37 AM

Default Torpedo Badge

Hi Trevor

I'm afraid a single torpedo badge with a star above has nothing to do with being torpedoed or mined five times. The survivors 'Torpedo Badge' was only ever issued without addition of any kind.

A single torpedo with a star above (and no letters below) is a 'trade badge' worn by the following personnel: -

Seaman Torpedo Man (1904 - 1947)
Chief Petty Officer (T) (1909 - 1947)

Pete
Old 28-05-20, 08:46 AM

Default Torpedo Badge

Well, I have to admit it seems that I was wrong! I have, whilst looking for something else, come across the rules for wearing the Torpedo Badge - and it refers to stars AND bars!

I have attached the details below.

Always happy to admit when I'm wrong! That's one of the great things about this hobby - you're always learning something new.

There is one thing that puzzles me. All official references I've seen refer to the badge being worn by members of the Mercantile Marine - and I can find no reference to the Royal Navy. Was this badge actually worn by members of the Royal Navy that had been mined or torpedoed or not?

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2020-05-28 Mercantile Marine Torpedo Badge.jpg (67.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 28-05-20, 08:56 AM

A very interesting thread concerning a badge I had no idea existed, does anyone have a photograph or postcard showing the badge in wear they could show please.

Regards Simon.
Old 28-05-20, 09:13 AM

Default Torpedo Badge

Well, I have now found further information on the badge which goes to answer some of my questions and I will pass on the information for the benefit of others.

This badge was NOT worn by members of the Royal Navy. It was only awarded to, and worn by, members of the Mercantile Marine. Hence it's official name, the 'Mercantile Marine Torpedo Badge'. It's issue was administered by the Board of Trade. Those entitled to wear it had to apply to the Board of Trade to get one. It continued to be available for issue until 1922.

The badge was authorised on the 6th June 1918 and was awarded to those seamen whose ships had been sunk, or damaged, by submarine or mine and had then gone on to sail on further voyages on British ships lasting at least a month. If they were torpedoed or mined again, a bar was worn underneath the badge on the cuff. If they continued to have encounters with the enemy, then further bars were issued until five bars could be swapped for a five pointed star. The source I read states that only one Torpedo Badge with star was ever issued but I've no idea how accurate this is.

Certificated Officers and various other officers were able to change the red badge for a gold one in December 1918.

So, a very interesting badge and I'm happy to have learned something new. However, as it was never worn by Royal Navy personnel it's outside of my collecting limits!

Pete

Last edited by Guzzman; 28-05-20 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 28-05-20, 09:36 AM

Default Torpedo Badge

Finally, I have found a newspaper cutting which announced the introduction of this badge. Please see below.

A word of warning. Whilst I have been seeking information on this badge I have seen many illustrations of what were claimed to be the Mercantile Marine Torpedo Badges in gold wire, several with the star above. To me the ones with the star above look just like the trade badges I referred to earlier - and the ones without the stars look just like the torpedo badge issued to ratings without any letters or stars (such things were often issued separately). I would certainly be very careful about buying gold wire examples of this badge without something to confirm it's history.

Pete