British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-08-11, 08:04 AM

Default Waterloo Grammar School CCF

I was looking through a booklet "The Territorial and Auxilary Forces of West Lancashire Official Handbook " recently .The booklet is not dated but I think it dates from around 1949-50.

There is a list of CCF units in West Lancs and as well as the ones I expected to see there is mention of Waterloo Grammar School.The school was in Crosby,North Liverpool and closed many years ago. I contacted the archivist of the Old Boys Association to see if he had any information on the affiliation or badges of the unit but he was unable to help.

I have just checked in Rawlings and he lists a cloth title " Waterloo Grammar School/CCF " but no mention of the colours.

A Waterloo Grammar School CCF title is now on my wanted list

The only comprehensive source on the CCF insignia of units affiliated to a particular unit seems to be in one of a series of articles by the late Archer Parfitt on badges of the KSLI in the MHS Bulletins in the 1960`s-70`s.

There was a series of articles in The Formation Sign by Derrick Burney in the early 1990`s on the CCF which included a list of known CCF titles and their colours but no mention, as far as I can see, of Waterloo Grammar School.

If anyone has any information on the unit and its insignia I would be very pleased to hear.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 30-12-12, 04:11 PM

Peter,
When posting on the thread about Major John Waring's cloth badge identification pamphlets I noticed in pamphlet No 2 a reference as follows:

F183 "Waterloo Grammar School CCF" Blue letters on Brown, Blue Borders. Shape 7 with C.C.F. below WATERLOO GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Tim
Old 30-12-12, 05:01 PM

Tim,

Thanks, I had forgotten about that reference to the Waterloo Grammar School CCF in the Handbook, whilst no nearer getting an example at least I now know more about the title I am looking for.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 30-12-12, 07:53 PM

It is interesting how one post leads to another and how sometimes more than one thread can touch on the same subject at the same time.

Amongst my notes on Merseyside Cadet Insignia I have a letter which a friend sent to me in 1991 which shows some hand drawn illustrations of cloth shoulder titles for the Liverpool/ Merseyside School CCF`s and OTC`s. These were sketched by him during a visit to the RCT Museum in Aldershot to look at the Wearing collection and will quote from the letter-

"It was a fascinating afternoon`s study even though I was under constant supervision by the Museum staff as parts of the collection were stolen some time ago when restrictions were somewhat lax. The cloth badges themselves were of the highest quality and beautifully presented and labelled........"

I understand that most of the items in the Waring pamphlets were actually in the Waring collection but no mention is made in the letter of the Waterloo Grammar School CCF title so if the title was in the collection perhaps my friend was not aware that the school was located on Merseyside.

The moral of all this is dont put off going to see collections when you have the chance, you might not get a second chance.

P.B.

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 30-12-12 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-01-13, 03:10 AM

Default Waterloo GS CCF

Hi Peter. In Derrick's earlier listing of CCF units and their dates of existence, he lists Waterloo GS as appearing in the Army List between 1951 and 1959. This from the Formation Sign #152 Oct/Dec 1988. Regards, Andrew.
Old 01-01-13, 08:03 AM

Andrew,

That is excellent, thank you.

Peter

Old 17-02-20, 02:14 PM

Thanks to member Andrew (adb63 ) I now have the evidence that Waterloo Grammar School CCF in 1954 ceased to be badged RA and became affiliated t0 40th ( Kings ) RTR and adopted the RTR badge- see extract from a copy of the schools magazine attached.

This is interested because St.Marys College Crosby` CCF was also affiliated to the same RTR unit, both schools being located close the RTR Drill Hall in Park Street Bootle.

Thanks Andrew, always great when the missing piece in a puzzle is found.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6680.jpg (117.6 KB, 37 views)

Old 17-02-20, 02:59 PM

Thats a very helpful article for sure.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 17-08-23, 11:34 AM

Default The thrill of the chase

You will see from the first post in this thread that I have been searching for a cloth shoulder title for Waterloo Grammar School CCF, I am very pleased that after 12 years I have finally obtained one .

( still think the price I paid was crazy but I suppose that’s auctions for you )

P.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7152.jpg (63.5 KB, 34 views)

Old 17-08-23, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
You will see from the first post in this thread that I have been searching for a cloth shoulder title for Waterloo Grammar School CCF, I am very pleased that after 12 years I have finally obtained one .

( still think the price I paid was crazy but I suppose that’s auctions for you )

P.
Well done Peter - fantastic addition!
Mike
Old 17-08-23, 02:20 PM

Thanks Mike.

Peter

Old 17-08-23, 04:47 PM

Excellent Peter,i hope your pleased. I read the thread then noticed the dates. Good things come to those that wait .
Very strange colours i must say.
Old 17-08-23, 04:58 PM

Thanks Mike,

Couple of questions ( like the reason for the colours ) still to be answered.

Peter