British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-01-19, 03:45 PM

Thanks to all of you for your comments and additional information, as has been mentioned already I always understood that these badges were issued post war to ex members and not wartime issue and thanks for the clarification regarding the Womens Auxilliary Units...............good stuff chaps, Thank You.
Old 26-01-19, 06:15 PM

Here’s the museum badge. A man from coltishall , who had the badge on when ever I spoke to him, was in it as a boy, at got the badge some 20 years after the end of war
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7B1A75CC-EC47-4CBD-95DD-2F6B11F0DE13.jpeg (88.0 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg ECA3B997-3E64-4125-A90A-2AD0A66AB707.jpg (47.9 KB, 104 views)
Old 26-01-19, 11:44 PM

The first badge with 'Auxiliary Units' written on is a modern version. The badges were given out at stand down after 1944. Patrols were all meant to have them but were passed to the sergeants of each patrol (patrol leaders) to pass to the rest of the patrol.

Some passed them out, others didn't, some never received them - hence the confusion. It was the only official recognition they received.

The link to the Home Guard is also confusing. Some were recruited from the ranks of the Home Guard, others returned to the Home Guard prior to or after stand down in 1944 and many if not most used the Home Guard as a cover for their training disappearance!

Some were recruited to the SAS and SOE - with quite a few of them giving up their lives. Most however, went back to their daily lives, having signed the Official Secrets Act, without saying a word to their closest family and friends.

You can find out more here: www.Staybehinds.com and I know there was a specific question about Dorset - here's what we know about the Dorset patrols: http://www.coleshillhouse.com/dorset...ts-and-obs.php

Cheers

Andy
Old 06-03-19, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembird View Post
These badges are being faked although the one you have does look an authentic one.
For years now, I've been surprised that the Auxunit OCA badges haven't been faked, because they don't even have a maker's mark on the back and they are a fairly simple design.

However, I've not seen or heard of them being faked. How do you know they are?
Old 08-03-19, 03:27 PM

Default Badge in cloth

Has anyone seen a patch like that top left at all? Maybe john Mills?
Yes aware of the PWE but i believe it to be a fake, although nicely made.SmartSelect_20190220-104340_Chrome.jpg

Please be aware, that it is my intention to sell this at auction in the future as I know nothing of it.
So please don't comment on it if you feel that I'm being unethical in trying to establish a price, that is not the case. I felt it relevant to the thread, if not, I'll be happy for admin to remove.
Happy collecting

Last edited by JON188; 08-03-19 at 04:39 PM.
Old 22-01-22, 07:35 PM

Could you please show or provide a reference to an example of the fakes that you mention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembird View Post
These badges are being faked although the one you have does look an authentic one.
Old 22-01-22, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Could you please show or provide a reference to an example of the fakes that you mention?
The infamous vongold sold a couple end of 2019 early 2020 on his usual short 5 day listings.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=75856

Unfortunately I did not post the pictures on the thread so it’s now rather useless with the eBay link dead.

I have not noticed any since, but, it is not something I actively search and I also try to avoid looking at any of the Goldsmiths accounts.

Incidentally a quick Google search produced this, no idea how accurate it is:
https://www.ww2civildefence.co.uk/bl...badges-on-ebay
Old 23-01-22, 12:56 AM

Default badge

there is also a large modern embroidered version available of the badge and i know that there is a small group of veterans and family members who take part in the march past the cenotaph as i have a nephew who goes as our representative as my late father served in the unit although he never mentioned it and i only found out when my sister started doing our family tree.
Old 23-01-22, 10:45 PM

Default Home Guard Auxillaries

One of the members of Operation Titanic which was the first SAS operation that took place in France on the night of 5th and 6th June 1944 was Pte 'Chippy' Saunders. He had previously served with the Wiltshire Regiment pre WW2 and was evacuated fron Dunkirk in 1940.
Back in the UK he became a member of the Auxnits as they were known before being selected for 1 SAS in 1944.
He and the other five on the operation were captured in August 1944 having been behind german lines since landing on their DZ on the 5th/6th June.
All of those on Op Titanice survived the war and did not share the same fate as later captured SAS men in all probability because they were thought of being members of the Parachute Regiment who had landed in the wrong location.
Of those that took part in the operation the two officers were awarded the MC and one of the Troopers Merryweather was awarded the MM.
I do have a list of all those who were members of the Dorset patrol and later became members of the SAS which I will try and find. If I do I will post the names.
Cheers

Arnhem
Old 27-01-22, 09:00 AM

Okay, many thanks, I had certainly forgotten about that particular thread, the fake in the second link is not really going the fool anyone who has troubled their backside to do a little research, although, I dare say there will be others appearing in due course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
The infamous vongold sold a couple end of 2019 early 2020 on his usual short 5 day listings.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=75856

Unfortunately I did not post the pictures on the thread so it’s now rather useless with the eBay link dead.

I have not noticed any since, but, it is not something I actively search and I also try to avoid looking at any of the Goldsmiths accounts.

Incidentally a quick Google search produced this, no idea how accurate it is:
https://www.ww2civildefence.co.uk/bl...badges-on-ebay
Old 28-01-22, 07:30 AM

That is very interesting and I presume that information has come straight from the horse's mouth, as so to speak, from members who actually served within the unit?
Were the badges sent out before the war ended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chats1 View Post
The first badge with 'Auxiliary Units' written on is a modern version. The badges were given out at stand down after 1944. Patrols were all meant to have them but were passed to the sergeants of each patrol (patrol leaders) to pass to the rest of the patrol.

Some passed them out, others didn't, some never received them - hence the confusion. It was the only official recognition they received.

Cheers

Andy
Old 28-01-22, 10:23 AM

Here are the fakes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FAKE Ebay Jun19-003.jpg (120.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg FAKE Ebay £126 Nov19-002.jpg (62.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Ebay £100 Mar19-002.jpg (96.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 28-01-22, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly View Post
Here are the fakes
Thanks for showing us these
Old 28-01-22, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Here are the fakes
Thanks. I recognise the middle one as being the type Vongold was selling.
Old 29-01-22, 05:44 PM

The first one is interesting with the upside down buttonhole fitting, the enamel appears not to have been fired and of recent manufacture, it is certainly not translucent, the second appears to have been aged, I presume it to the be similar to to spurious example shown in the second link provided by Luke in post twenty two?

Quote:
Here are the fakes