British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-09-09, 05:55 AM

Default 439 Light AA Regiment RA (‘S’ Tyne-side Scottish Battery) TA

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me what cap badge the 439 Light AA Regiment RA (‘S’ Tyne-side Scottish Battery) TA wore in 1961.

REgards

Chris
Old 24-09-09, 08:47 PM

Chris,
Slight problem with your dates, though I can answer your question!

In 1956, 439th Light AA Regiment RA (TA) [with P (Tyne Electrical Engineers) Bty, Q (Tyne Electrical Engineers) Bty, R (South Shields) Bty and S (Tyneside Scottish) Bty,] had amalgamated with 404th Coast Regt RA (Tynemouth) (TA) and became 439th (Tyne) LAA Regiment RA (TA)

The batteries where renamed:
P (Tynemouth) Bty, Q (Tyneside Scottish) Bty and R (South Shields) Bty

So in 1961:
S (TS) Bty didn't exist!

Q (TS) Bty wore a Black Watch cut arm badge in Government Tartan and retained the Tam O'Shanter with Red Hackle. So no cap badge was worn.

The Pipe band was retained and wore the standard Black Watch Pipers Uniforms but with Tyneside Scottish Bonnet Badge

Harder Than Hammers! Mike
Old 24-09-09, 09:50 PM

Just a piece of related trivia:
I've a dinner menu for 439 (Tyne) L.A.A Regiment R.A (T. A) from June 1961 at RA Mess Woolwich (RIP) and the Quick March Past is The British Grenadiers, The Trot Past is The Keel Row and the Canter & Gallop is Bonnie Dundee.
Old 24-09-09, 10:11 PM

I cannot comment on its accuracy but according to "Regimental Badges" by Major T J Edwards (revised by Arthur L Kipling) 3rd Edition published in 1963 Page 216:
"S" (Tyneside Scottish) Battery 439th Regiment Royal Artillery TA. The Headress badge is illustrated as the Tyneside Scottish badge (K&K1137) "in silver plate for officers and white metal for other ranks. A red hackle is worn behind the badge".
Old 24-09-09, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
Chris,
Slight problem with your dates, though I can answer your question!

In 1956, 439th Light AA Regiment RA (TA) [with P (Tyne Electrical Engineers) Bty, Q (Tyne Electrical Engineers) Bty, R (South Shields) Bty and S (Tyneside Scottish) Bty,] had amalgamated with 404th Coast Regt RA (Tynemouth) (TA) and became 439th (Tyne) LAA Regiment RA (TA)

The batteries where renamed:
P (Tynemouth) Bty, Q (Tyneside Scottish) Bty and R (South Shields) Bty

So in 1961:
S (TS) Bty didn't exist!

Q (TS) Bty wore a Black Watch cut arm badge in Government Tartan and retained the Tam O'Shanter with Red Hackle. So no cap badge was worn.

The Pipe band was retained and wore the standard Black Watch Pipers Uniforms but with Tyneside Scottish Bonnet Badge

Harder Than Hammers! Mike
Hi TynesideIrish,

Have attached the paper that I am working on at the moment. It is in relation to the Territorial Infantry Regiments that have converted to Royal Artillery and the badges they wore at the time which was late 1961. This document is not dated but is ordered between two others of August 1961 and November 1961.

What I'm trying to do is establish what badge these units wore at the time (which may or may not be anodised aluminium examples).

I'm now OK with all the others except the 439 Light AA REgiment RA ('S' Tyne-side Scottish Battery) TA which as you can see had RA buttons but the rest as Regimental pattern. I'm trying to work out what the Regimental pattern was.

Regards

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7140296 50.jpg (44.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 24-09-09, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
I cannot comment on its accuracy but according to "Regimental Badges" by Major T J Edwards (revised by Arthur L Kipling) 3rd Edition published in 1963 Page 216:
"S" (Tyneside Scottish) Battery 439th Regiment Royal Artillery TA. The Headress badge is illustrated as the Tyneside Scottish badge (K&K1137) "in silver plate for officers and white metal for other ranks. A red hackle is worn behind the badge".
Thanks Grey_Green_Acorn,

I have a copy of this book in the UK for shipping out to me at some time.

Have a look at the previous post attachment re: this thread too.

Regards

Chris
Old 24-09-09, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi TynesideIrish,

Have attached the paper that I am working on at the moment. It is in relation to the Territorial Infantry Regiments that have converted to Royal Artillery and the badges they wore at the time which was late 1961. This document is not dated but is ordered between two others of August 1961 and November 1961.

What I'm trying to do is establish what badge these units wore at the time (which may or may not be anodised aluminium examples).

I'm now OK with all the others except the 439 Light AA REgiment RA ('S' Tyne-side Scottish Battery) TA which as you can see had RA buttons but the rest as Regimental pattern. I'm trying to work out what the Regimental pattern was.

Regards

Chris
Hi again Chris,
despite what Major Edwards wrote in his badge book, In 1961 The Tyneside Scottish Battery (Which since 1956 was 'Q' Bty by then not 'S' Bty) wore NO badges in their headdress. Only the Red Hackle was worn as it still is today in the Sucessor unit 204 (Tyneside Scottish) Battery, 101st (Northumbrian) Regiment, RA.

In all other respects the uniform was as Royal Artillery. Save for the pipe band which as mentioned previously was the Black Watch Pipers uniform.

Of course if it suits your research, please feel free to disregard what I have said. However it happens to be right.
Old 24-09-09, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
Hi again Chris,
despite what Major Edwards wrote in his badge book, In 1961 The Tyneside Scottish Battery (Which since 1956 was 'Q' Bty by then not 'S' Bty) wore NO badges in their headdress. Only the Red Hackle was worn as it still is today in the Sucessor unit 204 (Tyneside Scottish) Battery, 101st (Northumbrian) Regiment, RA.

In all other respects the uniform was as Royal Artillery. Save for the pipe band which as mentioned previously was the Black Watch Pipers uniform.

Of course if it suits your research, please feel free to disregard what I have said. However it happens to be right.
Hi Tynesideirish,

I'm quite happy with what has been posted. The document is only recording the dress of these TA units and makes no mention of cap badges for this particular unit only:

RA buttons - remainder Regimental pattern

If the 'remaider Regimental pattern' for head gear was the Red Hackle then this all reconciles up OK and is one less thing I have to try and explain at an anodised aluminium level.

Many Thanks!!!

Regards

Chris
Old 14-12-15, 06:00 PM

Default Tyneside Scottish

Hi hagwalther, Tyneside Irish,
Spotted this old post & thought I'd put my two- pence worth in! Not sure what Regimental Pattern means on Chris's list but what I do know is the Tyneside Scottish (439 Tyne R.A ) did have an a/a collar badge made for them.
So never say never you just don't know what's out there!
Please see attached a/a collar badges for 439 (Tyne) Regt R.A (Tyneside Scottish).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_1604.jpg (64.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 101_1605.jpg (61.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 14-12-15, 06:58 PM

Hi Ukbrits,

Don't ya just love it when the official doco reconciles with real life!

Great find Ukbrits!!!

Regards,

Chris
Old 14-12-15, 07:50 PM

Members of the Battery today.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 06:16 PM.
Old 16-12-15, 11:10 PM

Marc, great photo. Lovely to see that the OR's are now wearing the capbadges and not just the Officers.
Old 31-12-15, 03:32 AM

Hi Guys,

Seems that the 204 (Tyneside Scottish) have been wearing the badge since 1985 if Robin Hodges is correct with an example shown, being worn, on page 370 of his book British Army Badges published in 2005.

He also makes note of 'S' battery from 1961.

Regards,

Chris
Old 31-12-15, 09:44 AM

I believe the P, Q and R were simply ways of denoting the seniority of the batteries within the regiment as 1.2 and 3 are used in the infantry, a universal system in the RA, as P and Q batteries are actually former RHA titles now worn by batteries in the regular army with 5 Regiment RA.I find it hard to believe that the RA would duplicate a battery title.
Old 17-03-19, 01:43 PM

Default 439 Light AA Regiment RA (‘S’ Tyne-side Scottish Battery) TA

I know that this is an old post, but does someone know the name of any of the Pipe Majors of 439 LAA and when (year from-to) they were P/M?
Thanks!
Aad
email: aad@blueyonder.co.uk