British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-19, 12:29 PM
Leeds Pals

Default Leeds Pals cap badge/ real or fake?

Any help will be appreciated

Last edited by Leeds Pals; 29-11-19 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-11-19, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Leeds Pals, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 02-11-19, 01:30 PM

The common fake I’m afraid.
Old 02-11-19, 09:30 PM

No good in my opinion too. PY.
Old 05-11-19, 08:39 AM
Leeds Pals

I do own a copy of the common fake but this one is different. The ram is the same as the original as well as the owls, Could there be two versions the leeds Pals had by different manufacturers?. See photo of the two cap badges I have to compare. The one on the right is the well known fake.Thanks

Old 05-11-19, 08:57 AM
Leeds Pals

I know this one is the known common type the Pals wore. There is a little differents between them.

Old 05-11-19, 09:44 AM
Leeds Pals

Smile

On a side note, I do own a nice pair of Leeds Pals shoulder titles

Old 07-11-19, 01:54 AM

Hello LP, welcome. I think its a case of 2 versions of fake badge in post 5. I have had one the same as your left one for some years, but its never been a type thought of a genuine. I does not have the detail of the badge in post 6 which has the 'chest out' proud centre bird. The fake badges main owls also incline inwards on the fakes. Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 07-11-19 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-11-19, 09:48 AM
Leeds Pals

Thank you Paul. I am still on the look out for the type in post 5. Lucky I only paid a few pounds for it.
Old 07-11-19, 10:42 PM

I should have said the fake badges main owl heads incline inwards- though they could imitate a good badge if bent out by hand- so be sure any purchase matches the post 6 badge in all detail.
I only obtained a good badge this year, bought on this forum. Regards, Paul.
Old 11-11-19, 10:40 AM
Leeds Pals

Heads of the owls straighten up a bit. It looks better but still not right as per original. Hopefully I will find an original leeds Pals cap badge but the two I own is still useful for reference for fakes.

Old 11-11-19, 01:52 PM

If you move that badge on at some point I hope you will move the heads back as you have added detail to a duff badge. My remark was to warn of a possible deception that could be used. Regards, Paul.
Old 11-11-19, 02:17 PM
Leeds Pals

There is one thing I don't get about these so called fakes! Yes there fakes if sold as Leeds Pals cap badges ,but they are well made from quality stamps and made of brass! But I wonder are these cap badges are for the Leeds city council employees mistaken to be Leeds Pals?I have seen the tram badges and also outside the Armley prison gates it has the same badge as the Pals in stone. It would be interesting to know the origin of these cap badges! What cap badge did the 17th battalion had?. I live in Yorkshire, I have been to there camp in the Dale's and photo there memorial with the cap badge on

Old 11-11-19, 02:32 PM

I collect in general Great War badges- and there are well made fakes to most if not all regiments and battalions. Market is flooded. Even when a badge is common/ easy to obtain if produced for a big regiment or in use for many years, there are still good copies. Its all in the detail, and can be disappointing when you find out you don't have an original to period badge, and I doubt there is any collector who has not bought a badge- or many, that have turned out to be non original. Regards, Paul.
Old 11-11-19, 02:32 PM
Leeds Pals

Armley prison gates with the same badge as the Leeds Pals!

Closed Thread