British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-11-19, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Finally home and here are quick pics that show the key features, cheers Dean
Dean,

Afraid that’s a fake like the one I had, it is definitely a step up from the Mr Punch fakes but no doubt a fake. You can buy one identical from known seller of repros Jeremy Tenniswood for £12 https://militaria.co.uk/product/lout...i-m-cap-badge/

Note the detached crescent curve next to the eye, very different to Alan’s original. Tail tip is also more oval than the rounder original. The scroll is different too, tail ends project differently and as you can see the alignment of letters - C of OTC butts right to the end of the scroll whereas on the Tenniswood fake there’s space. Also I think you’ll find your badge has modern dustbin lid footed loops like mine did.

Hope people don’t mind but I’ve attached all 4 badges in a line up to help with comparisons.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 02-11-19, 07:40 PM

Dean et al,
Thanks
I can no longer tell my head from my tale!
I must sort out my technology.
Mike
Old 02-11-19, 09:16 PM

Thanks very much Luke,

Having only had a single one with a reasonable looking Sphinx and lugs I had assumed it was genuine. The classic error I think was paying decent money at C&T auction for it last year in the belief that their description and fierce competition for it told me something I wanted to hear. Back to the wants list then.

Apologies Mike for passing judgement on your badge with my comments probably being in the most part correct but not with a genuine badge to use as a reference but just a better copy.

Buying like this from overseas without being able to have a look at the badge in your hand is reliant on trust, decent auction photographs and a better knowledge of the finer points of a genuine badge. It was why I started my kingscolonials.com website as so many copies going for big money. Saying that I just received two genuine KC badges from C&T so just buyer due diligence required. cheers Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81036653-EADE-4720-8502-8A6C629C8E85.jpg (83.8 KB, 12 views)