British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-03-18, 04:02 PM

Default 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards Officers Collar Badge Manufacturer?

I picked up a pair of these a couple of days ago, I cant make out the manufacturers mark on them.
Does anyone know please if it's "LB&B"?
London Badge & Button Co?

Why the existence of silver/silver plate officers cap badges and of silver, gilt and enamel versions of the officers cap badge?
The distinction seems to be too great to be an individual purchase option, were they different depending on the headgear and order of dress, did they vary over time, were the "plain" silver ones WO or senior NCO versions or were they a Birmingham Mint type production for the collector of such confusing if pretty, trinkets?
As you may have guessed, I've just acquired a silver coloured plated one, hence my sudden interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 001.jpg (57.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 1 001.jpg (38.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (25.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 2 001.jpg (21.3 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 21-03-18 at 04:09 PM.
Old 21-03-18, 05:44 PM

Hello Leigh

It certainly looks like 'LB&B' to me, which is the London Badge & Button Company.

Roger
Old 21-03-18, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
Hello Leigh

It certainly looks like 'LB&B' to me, which is the London Badge & Button Company.

Roger
That is what I think as well.

Marc
Old 21-03-18, 08:42 PM

Thanks, I'll "file" under LB&B.
Old 22-03-18, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
I picked up a pair of these a couple of days ago, I cant make out the manufacturers mark on them.

Why the existence of silver/silver plate officers cap badges and of silver, gilt and enamel versions of the officers cap badge?
The distinction seems to be too great to be an individual purchase option, were they different depending on the headgear and order of dress, did they vary over time, were the "plain" silver ones WO or senior NCO versions or were they a Birmingham Mint type production for the collector of such confusing if pretty, trinkets?
As you may have guessed, I've just acquired a silver coloured plated one, hence my sudden interest.
Hi Leigh,

re: silver/silver plate and non silver/silver plate on modern badges.

Many of the first modern badges (post 1993) were indeed made of silver or silver palted where the colour of the badge was well, silver. Example are both large and small Coldstream Guards, both Scots Guards and even Queen’s Own Gurkha Logistic Regiment which was even gold plated in the gold colour areas!

However, as time went on, for reasons I have not been able to discover (cost probably) they were replaced by nickle silver, gilt etc.

The later 'cheap' badges had a slightly different pattern no. with an 'A' suffix. This is not to say that for all regiment/corp badges the 'A' suffix pattern followed a real silver/gold finish pattern but for the three examples above most certainly did.

So, if you know what regiment/corps badges to look for and you can get hold of packeted examples of such badges the pattern No. without the 'A' is the one to obtain if you want a rarer or possible more desirable example.

Note everyone! This is only for a few modern badges not all of them so don't go around saying that all modern badges without an 'A' suffix to the pattern no. are silver/silver plated or gold plated cos they most certainly ain't!

Regards,

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 22-03-18 at 05:22 AM.
Old 22-03-18, 01:07 PM

Thanks, interesting stuff.
Old 29-10-18, 03:36 PM

Quote:

These "collar badges" (approx 20mm) were standard wear on the collar of Service Dress and No 1 Dress for Officers (and Warrant Officer Class 1) of the 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards right up to 1992 when the Regiment amalgamated with the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards to form The Royal Dragoon Guards. Cap Badges worn in the No 1 Dress Hat and Service Dress Hat were similar but a larger size (30mm). The Collar Badge was worn in Berets. with a maroon backing cut to the shape of the star.
Badges were by private purchase.
Staybright badges were issued at Government expense for wear by Other Ranks in all forms of dress.

The Royal Dragoon Guards have since 1992 followed this tradition and although a staybright badge is issued for Other Ranks at Government expense, ALL ranks wear a Silver/Gilt/Enamel cap badge and collar badge (obtained by private purchase). A small size badge is worn by Officers, Warrant Officers and Senior NCOs of the RDG. A large size badge is worn by Other Ranks in their beret and by all ranks in No 1 Dress Hat and Service Dress Hat.

I am a former Warrant Officer in both Regiments.
Old 29-10-18, 05:16 PM

Quote:

I would certainly be interested in acquiring a pair of these collar badges
Old 08-11-19, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon219 View Post
These "collar badges" (approx 20mm) were standard wear on the collar of Service Dress and No 1 Dress for Officers (and Warrant Officer Class 1) of the 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards right up to 1992 when the Regiment amalgamated with the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards to form The Royal Dragoon Guards. Cap Badges worn in the No 1 Dress Hat and Service Dress Hat were similar but a larger size (30mm). The Collar Badge was worn in Berets. with a maroon backing cut to the shape of the star.
Badges were by private purchase.
Staybright badges were issued at Government expense for wear by Other Ranks in all forms of dress.

The Royal Dragoon Guards have since 1992 followed this tradition and although a staybright badge is issued for Other Ranks at Government expense, ALL ranks wear a Silver/Gilt/Enamel cap badge and collar badge (obtained by private purchase). A small size badge is worn by Officers, Warrant Officers and Senior NCOs of the RDG. A large size badge is worn by Other Ranks in their beret and by all ranks in No 1 Dress Hat and Service Dress Hat.

I am a former Warrant Officer in both Regiments.
Belated thanks for this information - I "missed" it when posted a year ago........
Old 08-11-19, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Belated thanks for this information - I "missed" it when posted a year ago........
Were you woken with a kiss?

Marc
Old 08-11-19, 02:09 PM

No, just sobered up..........